What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

L20A2 81mm ilum Mortar Info Please

spotter

UBIQUE
Staff member
Premium Member
Does anyone have any info on the L20A2 81mm illumination mortar round,weve found a few of these (expended)at work over the years I believe they are now obsolete,i know these are commonly found items but i cant find any info on them ,
I would particulary like to see any tech drawings or cutaways of the fuze for a future project .
thanks in advance spotter

Attachments

• images_D_DU002UP001.JPG
    images_D_DU002UP001.JPG
    13.3 KB · Views: 100
heres a few pics from an old pamphlet.
cheers, paul.

Attachments

• 81 illum fuze.jpg
    81 illum fuze.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 106
  • 81 illum round.jpg
    81 illum round.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 117
Bofors !

Produced I believe by Bofors and imported to this country as a stop gap until our own 81 Illum version was made available.
Will be stamped "BTT" all over the place and the rear fin set is made of cast Aluminium with a screw in Percussion cartridge, the inner cavity often has a long spring rotruding from the inside to ensure the flare is ejected correctly.
Main body is of tubed steel which is "rolled" over at the top to be fittted with a Maizac Metel cast fuze.

Nice items that ocassionally surface at places like Beltring, but they are getting increasingly rarer !

Last edited: