What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

L40/60 Bofors

rnixartillery

Good evening Gentleman ,we are still looking to the sky with this next instalment.We have here an L40/60 Naval mounted Bofors which was one of a pair salvaged many years back once the ship that carried them was taken to the breakers .The Gun I have was by far the poorest in condition and was destined for the scrap yard itself before I managed to secure a deal to save it.For some time I had been looking for an ornament to stand outside my workshop and this was it !!!!!!!!!.
A deal was done with no guarantee that the gun was complete with all its parts so it was a bit of a gamble.
Due to the fact that the gun had spent its life in salt air there was parts completely rotted away including 80% of the bolt heads ,which all had to be drilled out and re-threaded.
On completion of the restoration the only part missing was the cone at the end of the barrel which was located and fitted completing the gun, making it the best ornament anyone could ask for. ??????????????????????????????

Rob...............rnixartillery collection
(BEFORE AND AFTER PICS)

Attachments

• Before restoration.jpg
    Before restoration.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 74
  • Picture 435.jpg
    Picture 435.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 73
  • After restoration.jpg
    After restoration.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 80
  • DSCF0415.jpg
    DSCF0415.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 79
  • Picture 151.jpg
    Picture 151.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 72
Nice job Rob, you're a clever guy working out how to do all that. I wish more things like this were saved from the scrap yard.
Dave.

exellent job rob that makes a fine ornament you have even got a few shells in the top to finish it off just right well done

regards lee

Excellent Rob!!
Would love one myself to go with my assortment of 40mm rounds - but reckon wife would really throw a spazy!!

The restoration of this piece took about 6 months over the winter,quite a few late nights in the workshop.I spent alot of time on E-bay searching for whitworth bolts which soon adds up.
This is one of two Bofors in the collection and the other gun is quite different.

Rob

Excellent Rob!!
Would love one myself to go with my assortment of 40mm rounds - but reckon wife would really throw a spazy!!
Hey Hicky,My other half has given up on me she sends me out for a pint of milk and loaf of bread and I come back with another Gun !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rob

Hey Hicky,My other half has given up on me she sends me out for a pint of milk and loaf of bread and I come back with another Gun !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rob

Wow you are lucky. Where is this shop :tinysmile_shy_t:?
I wish there was a shop like that near me. When I go for milk the only extra thing I find is a newspaper and a packet of crisps.

Btw you have done a fantastic job on the Bofors even more especially since you saved it from the scrap man.

Do you know what ship it came from?

Regards
PC

The two guns came from the Isle of White quite alot of years back,the guy I bought it from gave me the name of the ship they came off but when I researched it the ship did'nt actualy carry this type of gun so it was a bit of a mystery.I did however find some interesting pictures.

Rob

Attachments

• 1978_289_9_ex2.jpg
    1978_289_9_ex2.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 15
What a fantastic job, that looks great. Such a iconic thing....
Whats next?

Best Weasel.

I am currently restoring a 1943 US 105mm M2 Howitzer which I imported from Greece just after Christmas, should have it finnished in a couple of months !

rnix artillery collection