What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

L85 series projectile Fuze

jvollenberg

Ordnance approved
Can anyone tell me anything about a British L85 series of projectile fuze? All I have is the nomenclature and was wondering if someone could provide some infomration and maybe pictures?

Joe

From the info i have from 2004 Its a superquick fuze with optional delay ,used on 105 and 155mm projectiles,
The differences between the L85A1 and L85A2 are the optional delay is increased from 0.02-0.03 seconds, and several components from the initiating train were changed from brass to aluminium or plated with nickel, the gaine was also changed from the L7 to the L7A2 which has an anti roll setback to prevent arming if the gaine is rolled

attached drawing shows the L85A2

Attachments

• L85A2.jpg
    L85A2.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 53
couple more photos i have just found in my stuff including a poor quality sectioned example (not mine)

L85 Fuze sectioned.jpgL85 fuze.jpg

Thank you ... just what I was looking for.
Does anyone have one I can get an external picture of?

Joe

Never mind ... I sent that at the same time the pictures came in ...

Thanks again,

Joe

Joe,

It is more than likely one of yours. For a period after the Second World War we (the British) were using American fuzes - some of which were manufactured under licence in the UK. The fuzes retained their American designation. This fuze looks very similar to the M51 (I'm not totally conversant with American fuzes as yet) so this could be a British variation and/or they decided to drop the American designation and make it a 'L' series fuze.

TimG

Am I wrong in thinking it looks similar to the M557 fuze? That one could arm if rolled in excess of 6 mph.

I am looking for some information on the L7A2 fuze booster ... I have them being made by Italy. Borletti specifically as the manufacturer. I was wondering if the UK made these and if someone had a close up picture of the booster and the LOT code on it?

Joe

Actually ... I have the entire fuze being made in Italy. Does anyone have a close up of the fuze LOT code as well?

Joe

This is the brochure I received on the fuze from an Italian Company.

Joe

Attachments

• artillery fuze.pdf
    488.7 KB · Views: 21