What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Land service gun on ships.

Michel

This evening I reacted to a very old thread. But maybe it will be overlooked. Does anybody know of land service guns and mounted ( modified or not) on ships. Like the picture below. 17 pounder in turret sinking of Walcheren Holland.

00d3a833ef76ca8dac36aa69f0b7962c_zps7ad688d0.jpg

Last edited:
The picture above shows a 17pdr in a 17pdr/25pdr MkI & II (Naval) mounting on a LCG(M) landing craft.
Army 6pdr 10cwt's were also used on naval vessels as was the air force 6pdr 7cwt with Molins auto-loader.
I'm sure other will know of more.

Thanks Eod, I only collect up to 1945 navy but this is a very interesting test for the panzerhaubitzer 2000.

It WWII the U.S. mounted the 37mm guns that were originally used on the P39 Air Cobra, on PT Boats in the Pacific.

Eod, so the idea of the tank turret was not a totally new one on board nice to know this.
Now I can connect a couple of shell cases for land use to naval use. And they will fit in my collection, not to pricy ones also (navy gets pricy if you have the common ones German and allied up to 1945).
If any one knows more perfect.

If they plan to use those T34 turrets for any low angle broadsides, they would have to do something with the handrails around the deck.

Soviets built multiple gun boats with different tank turrets on them. Finnish captured one with old T-28 turret (L-10 gun).

Finnish used italian 47 mm anti-tank guns on at least one "gun boat". "Gun boat" Ilmari was a captured Soviet tug at lake ninen / Onega (second largest lake in Europe). While testing the installation the gun was thrown overboard after 3 shots, it took an hour to hoist it back and fix installation. Another gun boat was being repaired/armed at the same time on same location and both were receiving guns but I haven't yet checked how the second boat was actually armed. (I read about Ilmari yesterday)