What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Large British Round.

RichardB

Premium Member
Can anyone help identify the following round (presumably British).....offered in a local militaria shop for 100. Dated 1945, very well re-painted, but I don't actually know what it is!...I had to guess, but the case was over 0.5 meter tall

IMG_0055.jpg

Cheers Rich

Last edited:
Although i do not know what it is looks to be a nice round. Do they have anything else interesting there?

Darren

Hi Ozzie, the projectile was definitely bigger than a 17Pdr and looked more like the size of a German 88mm or US 90mm...unfortunately I don't have the headstamp yet.

Rich you lucky person, if its the size you say you may well find its a 32 pounder. Difficult to see without the headstamp and scale but it looks just like the last one I saw!!

GO BACK THERE REALLY FAST AND LOOK...........before I get there first LOL, no seriously you really do need to go see.

Dave.

Hi Dave, Ok ill definitely pop back at the weekend and take a picture, and let you know. Would be cool if it was a 32pdr....when did you last see one, was if for sale, was it more or less than 100?

Rich

Large Brit Rnd.

Hmmm, size is deceiving! WOW if it is a 32pdr please post pics for all to see as this round is a real mystery & never seen over here!

Good luck.

Eagerly awaiting.

Ozzi.

Ok, ok ok, Ive been a bad boy, it was a bit of a wind-up I was going to wait until 1st April, but figured that would be too obvious. My intention was to see how many people would identify it in the thread....unfortunately my private message inbox is now rapidly filling up !!! :crossedlips: (hmm didnt think that one through!!)

It is of course a British 32Pdr Case and HE round held by Bovington Tank Museum in one of their store rooms. I was lucky enough to visit there with rrickoshea toward the end of last year. I believe Bovington have occasional store room guided tours, which I would strongly recommend being part of. As Im sure most of you know the museum has THE finest collection of AFVs in the world, so I'd strongly reccommend visiting.

I have larger better quality pictures of the round and headstamp, Ill post shortly.

If anyone has any engineering drawings, or other photos or stories, it would be great to hear them!!

Sorry to all I might have wound up :tinysmile_angry2_t:....there is of course no local militaria shop.

Rich

Ok, ok ok, Ive been a bad boy, it was a bit of a wind-up I was going to wait until 1st April, but figured that would be too obvious. My intention was to see how many people would identify it in the thread....unfortunately my private message inbox is now rapidly filling up !!! :crossedlips: (hmm didnt think that one through!!)

It is of course a British 32Pdr Case and HE round held by Bovington Tank Museum in one of their store rooms. I was lucky enough to visit there with rrickoshea toward the end of last year. I believe Bovington have occasional store room guided tours, which I would strongly recommend being part of. As Im sure most of you know the museum has THE finest collection of AFVs in the world, so I'd strongly reccommend visiting.

I have larger better quality pictures of the round and headstamp, Ill post shortly.

If anyone has any engineering drawings, or other photos or stories, it would be great to hear them!!

Sorry to all I might have wound up :tinysmile_angry2_t:....there is of course no local militaria shop.

Rich

OH you bad man!!!!!!!!!!! I like it, must remember to return the favour:tinysmile_shy_t:
At least I got the ID right.
Dave.

That's kind of cruel to tease everyone like that.

What is the diameter of a 32 Pdr. projectile?

Rich

Naughty-naughty Rich!!!

Wind-ups previously in here by some members caused a lot of chaos last time.:listen:

I must say though it would have been a superb April 1st gag! :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

best

waff

Wind up hay shame, lol as I was gona ask where the shop was as there's a nice swingfire anti tank missile in the background of the picture and It might have been for sale lol

From bazooka chris

Archive

Hi Rich,i was on a museum conservators course a while back and met the curator(i think!),had tour of the collection in storage. some rare bits there,BTW Dave saw a 32pdr case at Cotees in wareham last year,sale price i think under 100 pounds.Cheers Tig.

Well, here's all I have on the round...

As Dave said, the round is 3.7inch, which equates to ~94mm.
The case is 94x675R but I didnt measure this, I got this from a website, but can't remember which.

I have no penetration statistics, drawings, weights etc, so if any one does...(not holding breath), please post.

Well here are the pictures for you all.

32PR Case and HE Projectile
32PDR HE Rounds.jpg

32PR Case Headstamp
32PDR Headstamp-1024.jpg

Its a shame the primer is missing.....which btw, was going to be my reason for not purchasing the round!!...but I couldnt have kept a straight face :bigsmile:

I hope the enjoy the pictures

Rich

Well, here's all I have on the round...

As Dave said, the round is 3.7inch, which equates to ~94mm.
The case is 94x675R but I didnt measure this, I got this from a website, but can't remember which.

I have no penetration statistics, drawings, weights etc, so if any one does...(not holding breath), please post.

Well here are the pictures for you all.

32PR Case and HE Projectile
View attachment 28015

32PR Case Headstamp
View attachment 28016

Its a shame the primer is missing.....which btw, was going to be my reason for not purchasing the round!!...but I couldnt have kept a straight face :bigsmile:

I hope the enjoy the pictures

Rich

Rich it may be worth getting Dave L to measure the specimen at Bovington. I've read in a number of places that the 32 pounder went in the standard 3.7 L50 AA case and there appears to be a fair bit of confusing information out there, several well respected collectors informing me of this too. Having seen that same round you have photographed a few years ago at Bovington I was well aware that it wasn't! The standard 3.7L50 is of course 675mm long and it could be that the 32 pounder is too to but it would be nice if this can be confirmed - and if he can do so could he measure the rim diameter too please?
Dave.
PS when I saw it I didn't measure it either - silly me!!

32pdr

You rotten Sod!

& I thought all the crims were sent to Australia!!!

Thanks for letting us know!

Oh, & great pics.

Ozzi.

...and for those that want to learn a bit more about the AFV that used the 32PR, there is a great article here about the A39 Tortoise, including some information on the 32PR ammunition.

and here is a picture I took at the museum of the A39 Tortoise with its 32PR gun.

A39 Tortoise-1024.jpg.

Ill now sit back and wait for the flood of drawings, and pictures of other 32PR shells out there.

Cheers all, Rich

Last edited: