What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Large cartridge case.

Bockscar

I have posted in the "Trench art" section some images taken from a museum in Edinburgh which contains artifacts once belonging to General Haig. One of the items was a very large cartridge case dated 1905 and German naval in origin. it carries the code 1719 and as I have yet been unable to find out which ordnance used this case, I was wondering if any members could assist.
I have included an image of the base of the case with details that come out quite clearly once enlarged.
Another image showing the length of the case can be viewed in the trenchart section.

Bockscar

DSC04748.jpg

As the Mauser G98 is about 1250mm long (see picture in the Trench Art section), I think your cartridge is for the german 28 cm SK L/40 (1220mm long)

Regards,
Pascal

Here with a 28 cm. Spgr L4,4 m. Bdz u. Kz

Attachments

• 28 cm. Spgr L4,4 m. Bdz u. Kz3_redimensionner.jpg
    28 cm. Spgr L4,4 m. Bdz u. Kz3_redimensionner.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Silent Knight,

This sounds like a sound proposal....If I remember the next time I visit this museum, I shall take my tape measure along!

Bockscar.

Many thanks for the additional illustration.