What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Large shell primer?

navyman

Hello all,
I've always thought that this was the primer for a large shell. Being curious I cut it in half with a hacksaw, (this was 25 years ago)! and ground it down with a belt sander, not the way I would approach it these days.
I'd be very grateful if anyone can ID it for me? Unfortunately the other half was discarded without making a note of the full markings. The M on the side makes me suspect it was from a navy case. I have a complete 4.5" case with a similar looking device inside but cant remove it as I don't have the correct tool and am not going to damage that one.
Many thanks,
navyman.

Attachments

• p5a.jpg
    p5a.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 58
  • p4a.jpg
    p4a.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 71
Hi Navyman,
I cant help you with a possitive id on that although it does look simmilar to a primer for a 4.5" could you post some dimensions of it please. Looks ok for a hacksaw and belt sander job.
Best Weasel.

primer sectioned

Your sectioned primer is a no.14 electric ( got one myself) and as far as I know the no.17 electric was fitted to 4.5in Naval cases and no.9 percussion to land service. The no14 could be for 4in mk16&21 gun rounds naval but that is a guess as the only other big case in service.
2pr

Hi Navyman,
I cant help you with a possitive id on that although it does look simmilar to a primer for a 4.5" could you post some dimensions of it please. Looks ok for a hacksaw and belt sander job.
Best Weasel.
Weasel,
Here's a pic of primer with measure.
All best,
navyman.

Attachments

• p 1a.jpg
    p 1a.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 29
Your sectioned primer is a no.14 electric ( got one myself) and as far as I know the no.17 electric was fitted to 4.5in Naval cases and no.9 percussion to land service. The no14 could be for 4in mk16&21 gun rounds naval but that is a guess as the only other big case in service.
2pr

Hello 2 pounder,
I've had a look inside my 4.5 case and realised I'd made a mistake. The primer, which I can't remove is very different to the sectioned one.
Attaching pics to illustrate, sorry about that error.
All best,
navyman.

Attachments

• 4.5 inside 1a.jpg
    4.5 inside 1a.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 4.5 4a.jpg
    4.5 4a.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 15
4.5" Primer for Naval use

I think the sectioned electric primer number 14 is for the 4 inch Naval as it has a thin flange whereas the modern electric primer in the 4.5 has a much thicker flange.