What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Large tail fin

Pat6686

Wondered if someone could identify this piece. It's approx 515mm high and the same width and weighs about 18kgs. Appears to be made of some type of alloy despite the weight.
It's been painted at some point with bronze Hammerite which hasn't taken too well and is flaking off to reveal a number of stencilled swastikas. Can't work out if this is an elaborate joke. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Looks like a modern British 1000 Lbs bomb tail fin to me. This one should be for a high drag bomb, but is missing the retarding panels and chute.

Regards, Cornman

Last edited:
Hey Pat,
nothing strange on this one. This is the retarded version of the 1000 Lbs general purpose bombs used by the RAF. I thought these are called MK-22.
Don`t know if the blue colour on the tail is original, I think they come only in green.
Swastika ofcourse is added by someone for some dark reason.
I have made some pics of dropped ones in the past, but I have to locate them and find myself a scanner (I don`t have one myself) as they are the old fashioned photos on paper.

Regards, Cornman

Attachments

• 060125-F-6911G-013.jpg
    060125-F-6911G-013.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 20
Hi Cornman
The correct nomenclature of the British 1000lb Retarded Tail Unit is the No.117 - the equivalent retarded tail for the smaller 540lb'er is the No.118. The Mk.22 that you refer to is the nomenclature of the 1000lb concrete filled Practice bomb shown in your picture. I've never seen a blue No 117 before - as you say, the factory-finished colour is dark green; my best guess is that might have been painted like that by the same person who painted the swastika on it.
Regards
eodda

Thanks a lot Guys. Got a lot to learn. Blue does appear to be the base colour. Can't see any traces of green on it.
Should concentrate on smaller stuff. Small house and wife not impressed with it even after I suggested that it might make a good base for a coffee table.
It's got to go!

Pat