What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Large US Bomb....

Lou

Found this one at a fleemarket. Was advertised by the seller as a battleship shell. No markings. Standard 14in lug spacing.
32in high,38in around. Threaded nose accepted a fuze I had on the shelf. What kinda practice bomb is it?? What do the fins look like?

Wanted to add also,welded construction,although the nose is one stamped piece.Not super thin but not as thick as a regular GP bomb either.And the rear is welded shut.

Attachments

• Newfinds 001.jpg
    Newfinds 001.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 80
  • Newfinds 002.jpg
    Newfinds 002.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 80
  • Newfinds 004.jpg
    Newfinds 004.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 69
  • Newfinds 005.jpg
    Newfinds 005.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 71
  • Newfinds 006.jpg
    Newfinds 006.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Lou,

It is a 1950s era water filled practice bomb, I believe 250Lb. The fins mount to all the screw holes around the inner curve of the base. It is a conical fin that starts as a cone (where it bolts on) and turns into 4 fins in a cross shape. It stands around 5-1/2 feet tall when assembled.

Nice one!

Looks like all the bolt holes for fixing the fins on have been neatly welded closed for some reason?
Nice item though!

Thanks guys,wouldnt know what to do without your help!!!!!!!

Now to find those big ass fins,,,,:top:

Lou,

I got my bomb from a large surplus dealer north of Ogden Utah. The name of the place is Smith and Edwards. They had the bombs and fins laying out in the dirt, and yiou had to hike out into their yard and drag one of each up front to pay for them. I would try there first. They might have an odd left over one sitting around, but their place is on 20 acres, and stuff is everywhere. And, I got mine about 1975. They are 300 plus miles from me, or I would check for you right now.

The real problem, is that some #$%@#$ welded the holes up, where the screws go through to hold the fin on.

I will take a photo of mine and attach, so you can talk to them and ask them if they still might have one around.

Thanks Mr. Haz,

Yeah the good thing,even though the the holes are welded,I can grind,mark,drill and tap. It does take time but its part of the fun of it for me.
Thanks again for the help and Im looking forward to seeing those pics.

Lou,

Here you go!

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 29
  • ISO.jpg
    ISO.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 30
  • rear ISO.jpg
    rear ISO.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 27
  • Stencil 1.jpg
    Stencil 1.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 22
  • Mounting bolt detail.jpg
    Mounting bolt detail.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 18
Yes, hanging from the ceiling of the blue room.

Lou, here is the address of the place where I got mine:

http://www.smithandedwards.com/

If you contact them, forward my photos and tell them you need the fin. Ask them to give the photos to John, who runs the yard. The fins were located about 50 to 75 yards south of his office in the yard, just north of the old rail road cars. They have reworked that area, but they have single pieces and parts of stuff located all over the place, and he might know where one is. They also could have one inside the store, used as a parts bin. They would be the first place I would look.

Talked with John on the phone and it looks like Im 20 years too late. He said there were at one time pallets and pallets of them but they are all gone. Even one that had been run over and smashed was sold.

The funny thing to me,here I am with the front part,and the tails dont exsist anymore... Wonder what everyone did with them??:tinysmile_angry_t:

But,thanks for the help again Haz. I appreciate it. And at least I have another source in case something else comes up..

Lou,

I will look around down there the next time I pass through. I don't have any plans at present, but I always stop there if I go that direction.

Sweet deal. Let me know and I'll have cash ready. Oh and dont forget the MK15 retard and any other box fins. Rare as hens teeth as Dano would say...