What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Largest US producer of munitions

D

Dragontooth

Guys,

wondering about this, who has been the no. 1 in the US for the DoD (Dep. of Defense)? In terms of munitions production for the military?

Maybe Honeywell/ ATK ?

let us discuss this.

are they hiring?

That is a very undefined question. Are you talking about Billions of Dollars in contracts, total quantity of components manufactured, number of people employed, weight of finished products, or what? In addition to that, you really need to figure out what kind of job you want, and market yourself accordingly. You want a job that you will enjoy, that will challenge you and give you an opportunity to learn new things, that will allow you to get promotions and move on to hopefully better things. Defense contract jobs are very unstable. Every year contracts need to be renewed, and if they aren't, you can get laid off in a heartbeat. There are very few safe jobs anymore.

That is a very undefined question. Are you talking about Billions of Dollars in contracts, total quantity of components manufactured, number of people employed, weight of finished products, or what? In addition to that, you really need to figure out what kind of job you want, and market yourself accordingly. You want a job that you will enjoy, that will challenge you and give you an opportunity to learn new things, that will allow you to get promotions and move on to hopefully better things. Defense contract jobs are very unstable. Every year contracts need to be renewed, and if they aren't, you can get laid off in a heartbeat. There are very few safe jobs anymore.

Hi there,
you are right, this is very undefined. Please let me be more precise: either billions of dollars in contracts or number of components manufactured, or both. I guess they closely correlate.

I am interested, now in getting back to mhy question, as to who has been, with the above criteria, the number one producer after WWII in your opinion(s). I don't necessarily mean rifle bullets but rather rockets, missiles, bombs, mines, BLUs, grenades and other goodies.

My uneducated degree is that ATK and Aerojet-General have produced the most munitons.
What do you guys say?

Actually, quantities would not necessarily match contract values. One submarine or Aircraft carrier contract would beat any contract for small arms ammo. Small arms is defined by military manual as ammo up to 30mm. And, if you are into anything complex, you would want something larger than 30mm that has advanced technology functions and fuzing. I would advise finding some recent copies of Jane's Artillery ammo and Jane's Air Delivered weapons, and Aviation Week and Space Technology magazine, and start to research who is building what. Probably better to pick the technology you ae interested in than to try to go for largest contractor. Nammo Tally in Arizona, that makes the LAW rocket family had openings for Engineers about a year ago.

OK, but if we look just at QUANTITY then who would be the leader after WW II in terms of small arms and larger arms?

I would still guess Honeywell/ATK as of 1990 and Aerojet...correct me if I am wrong.
Due to the fact that I like California and the climate (and rock climbing) I would possibly be tending towards Aerojet.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is hard to keep track of that range of munitions, and who is currently making them. Yeah Aerojet was in Calif a few years back and did 25mm stuff at least, but Alliant Tech started doing that work, and Winchester Defense was doing it, and some companies bought other companies, etc. That is the dilemma, finding out who is doing it today. Internet searches on the items. In google, key in the M number for the round you are interested in, and see what pops up.

i just mean in general who has been the biggest in terms of quantity for most types thats all.
we should look back to the time around the korean and vietnam wars and iraq...too.