What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Late production Mills No 36 markings

B

Bannerman

Hi all,

I have seen pictures on this forum and on other sites of Mills No 36 mk1 grenades from around 1970-1972 featuring unusual markings. Some have a horizontal yellow band sprayed around the middle, including the lever and others feature a horizontal blue band slightly lower around the body, together with a vertical purple stripe on the sides. In both cases, it appears the filler plugs and surrounding lip of the filler hole have been sprayed red. Can anyone explain what these markings signify?

The nearest contemporary documentation I have available is Pamphlet No 7 Grenades (All Arms) dated 1964 which states "A live grenade is recognized by its deep bronze green body with a red band or series of crosses painted around it." Does anyone know if this marking scheme was dropped for the final years of manufacture and if so, when?

Regards
Bruno

There are four variations. 1 The unfilled unmarked version which should just have white tape over the filling hole. 2 The HE filled version which has a Yellow band (indicating HE role post 1967), the red on the filling plug is just sealant I believe. 3 The 'Practice' colour scheme of a blue band with experimental livery (Purple band) was used for environmental trials I believe, filled with a 'HE substitute' (inert). 4 Drill grenade painted white despite the standard for 'Oxford Blue' which I cannot sensibly explain.

Last edited:
Thank you very very much, this is most helpful. I have an example of the unfilled version, now the quest is on to track down some of the others....
Regards
Bruno

heres a drill 36m dated 1971 in the blue colour scheme. the body is marked IBR and the lever is ROF (P)
paul.

Attachments

• Page5drill1971.jpg
    Page5drill1971.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 32
  • Page5base1971.jpg
    Page5base1971.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 32
Thanks Paul, what an unusual and interesting practice grenade; I thought that as far as Mills grenades were concerned they were all painted white and the functions of drill and practice were rolled into one, insomuch as you used the same grenade for teaching cleaning, priming, making safe etc. and then used it again for actual throwing practice.

In my day, it was the L2 that was in service. I recall that there was a dark blue version, labelled "drill" for class room teaching which included priming, making safe, correct stance, everything up to the pulling of the pin. Then there was a light blue version, I believe labelled as "practice" with no lever, stricker gear, just a body. Usually dented, mashed up, utterly battered. These we had to actually throw; around FIBUA-type places, roll them down corridors, lob them through upstairs windows, hurl them over high walls.

Oh yes, there was also a green version which went "bang!" bigtime....

I've just taken a quick look at Skennerton's Introduction to British Grenades to see what he says on these grenades and am somewhat confused; He lists the practice grenade as L3A1 and the drill version as the L4A2. They look one and the same to me. Any views/ideas?
Regards
Bruno

BTW, I've visited your website several times; bees knees!

hi bruno.
the L3A1/2/3 was the light blue throwing version of the L2A2 that you remember and the dark blue one was the L4A1 and later the l28A1.
cheers, paul.

Cheers Paul,

Many thanks for clearing that one for me
Regards
Bruno

Cheers Paul,

Many thanks for clearing that one for me
Regards
Bruno

Like you say, the L3 varients had no lever and head etc, just a sort of big bolt. The L4 drill versions were complete and filled with HE sub. The L28 drill was solid alluminium I think, cheaper to make.

Here are the L2A2, L3A2, L4A2 and L28A1. (Bad picture, using my phone)

Attachments

• Photo0016.jpg
    Photo0016.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
They are just as I remember them, thanks for showing the picture.
Regards
Bruno