What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Latest addition - WWI 13 & 18 pdr. shells.

super7

Found these two additions to my collection: 13 pdr. shrapnel shell with original protection cap and a nice - repainted - 18 pdr. HE shell.

Now looking for a good paint scheme to restore the 13 pdr. in a similar condition as the HE. Suggestions welcome. BTW, does anyone know
what the official designation is for the applied yellow paint on these British shells? Got some more restoration work ahead so would be nice
to use the same kind of yellow. Thanks.

Regards, Jan
http://www.westernfront.nl

Attachments

• DSC02166a.jpg
    DSC02166a.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Hi Jan,

Nice shells! The correct paint scheme for the 13 Pdr shrapnel shell is the same as the 18 Pdr: Black with 2 x 1/2" (12.7mm) red bands at the top. The first 1/2" band starts 1" (25.4mm) down from the top of the brass fuze socket, then there is a 1/2" gap then the second 1/2" red band. Sometimes the fuze socket itself is also painted red, making the upper band look wider.

I am told that Humbrol model paint No. 24 is a reasonable match for the HE yellow. I wouldn't be too fussy though as there was a lot of colour variation between manufacturers on original shells that I have seen. Obviously there was a specific formula or recipe for the colour, but I doubt that anyone worried too much about variations in mixed batches.

Regards,

Graeme

Attachments

• 18pdrShrapnelDiagram1a.jpg
    18pdrShrapnelDiagram1a.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 26
Nice shells! The correct paint scheme for the 13 Pdr shrapnel shell is the same as the 18 Pdr: Black with 2 x 1/2" (12.7mm) red bands at the top.

Page 410 of the "Treatise on Ammunition" 1915 Ed. says:

"The Mark I shrapnel shell is painted black, the Marks II and III lead color, in order to make them easily distinguable from each other, as the Marks II and III shell will range further than the Mark I"

So because this shell has a cannelure near the base, could it be a Mark II which may still have it's original color?

Does anyone know if the Mark III shrapnell shell was used on a 13 Pr. 9 cwt. AA Gun and if it was painted in lead color too?

Last edited:
Thanks guys, certainly would like to know if the 13 pndr.'s grey color is original. Might consider leaving it as it is. Can not see any other color underneath the damaged paint, just shining steel.

Regards, Jan

Hi Jan, looking at your 13pdr it looks original as they were a lead grey in colour.
All the best
Andy

Thanks Andy, already decided to leave this one as it is now I know the color is authentic. Will post a picture to compare it with the Mk.I in my
collection so you can see the slight difference in size and shape.

Regards, Jan