What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Latest find, practice italian srcm

paul the grenade

Heres my latest aquisition.
Its a practice Italian SRCM gren. I dont have much info on this one. All i know is it could be reloaded after each throw with a small spotting charge.
only markings i can find are SETA on the fly off lever.
Any pics or info would be appreciated.
Cheers, Paul.

Attachments

• Practice srcm.jpg
    Practice srcm.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 67
  • practice srcm 2.jpg
    practice srcm 2.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Scrm 35...

Paul,

From my books it is a model 35 "Practice" grenade.
Here are the specs:

WEIGHT/ 7oz
Length/ 3.1 inches
Filling/ would be 1.5oz of TNT
Fusing/ "All-ways" impact

Inside the body of the grenade their was a two concentrick containers with the inner most holding the explosive and the fuze. The outer one was surrounded by steel sleeve and wrapped with wire to produce a greater fragmentation.

It is another of the "Red Devil" grenades which were known for their malfunction ability.

V40
Mark

Here is an interesting use of the practice/smoke version, note the bottle on the left. Used as igniters for "molotovs" in the desert.

Attachments

• italian bottle bombs.jpg
    italian bottle bombs.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 75
Hey:
Very interesting War pic sgtlynn, thank you for share it. Wartime pics of Italian grenades are very rare. Also Francesco_Dif is right, those two arent SCRM, are Bredas and one of them with holes in the outer body, very interesting.

I know the one on the right is a Breda, but are you sure about the one on the left, sure looks like SRCM to me. However, I stand to be corrected.:wink:

yours SRCM was post war production, SETA means Spolettificio Esercito Torre Annunziata, only found on post war production
nice item

regards

yours SRCM was post war production, SETA means Spolettificio Esercito Torre Annunziata, only found on post war production
nice item

regards

Very interesting point. Do you know why can be found the alluminium cover/safety lever with SCRM marked and without?

I know the one on the right is a Breda, but are you sure about the one on the left, sure looks like SRCM to me. However, I stand to be corrected.:wink:

Hi:
Both are Bredas, just look the pull tab and the top cover with holes. Maybe that Breda is one modified or just a smoke practice, like the SCRM yellow, it is not the solid white practice, this has holes for smoke, like the German ones.

Attachments

• italian%20bottle%20bombs.jpg
    italian%20bottle%20bombs.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 12
Very interesting point. Do you know why can be found the alluminium cover/safety lever with SCRM marked and without?

ciao
after ww2 the lone hand granade used was the SRCM, manufactured by SETA.
the factory SRCM was not in activity. so the construction of the hand granade SRCM was made by SETA. it's possible find safety cover unmarked and marked by SETA all post war. original ww2 SRCM had safety cover marked SOCIETA ROMANA

regards

Very interesting, it is very cool to find an Italian collector with knowledge about the Red Devils grenades, it is an unexplored field and I find it very interesting as I find the Italian WWII grenades very interesting and nice. As you know Red Devils were used in our Civil War and I found a retired Spanish Army EOD with a little collection of Civil War grenades. There I found some of the Red Devils, one of them an SCRM without maker mark on top. See pic, please, one on the left. As all the grenades were Civil War I take it fast. It has no markings.

Attachments

• Gr Italian 4.jpg
    Gr Italian 4.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
And what can you tell me about this two Bredas? Just a variation on the maker mark? Or any of them is post war? Both were purchased in the same collection from Spanish EOD.

Attachments

• Gr Italian 5.jpg
    Gr Italian 5.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 21
Very interesting, it is very cool to find an Italian collector with knowledge about the Red Devils grenades, it is an unexplored field and I find it very interesting as I find the Italian WWII grenades very interesting and nice. As you know Red Devils were used in our Civil War and I found a retired Spanish Army EOD with a little collection of Civil War grenades. There I found some of the Red Devils, one of them an SCRM without maker mark on top. See pic, please, one on the left. As all the grenades were Civil War I take it fast. It has no markings.

thanks for your words miguel, very appreciated.
according with italian manual there is no existence of SRCM without makers mark. but as you know some nations produced ammunition for the civil war with atypical markings exclusively for the spain. personally I didn't find no trace in my sources about italian ammunition with atypical markings (6,5x52, 20x138, 45mm brixia mortar etc).
so if your SRCM was a production for civil war with no marking I think we could find also OTO and Breda without makers mark, but nowadays I never seen one.

about Breda I think it's a variation. they didn't manufacture post war.
best regards

Awesome grenade Paul. It has the "eye appeal" for sure and would be a welcome addition to any collection. Definately an awesome grenade with the looks to back it up. Great find and keep 'em coming...Dano

Last edited: