What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Latest Purchase Of Mills

I would say it is a canadian mills as they put their red crosses on the second row down where british ones had the crosses on the top row.
Cheers, paul.

I think that just about confirms that the M stands for Montreal Munitions then Paul. Glad to learn something new, many thanks bud.

Andy

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. They only thing I see that might be a problem is that this one has red "X's" around near the top, not crosses. Does that make a difference? One more thing, on the screw filler(?) it looks like it has a blunt arrow and something of a date ? 4. Also their appears to be a letter 5 or S inside a geometric shape, both of which are found inside the grenade outside on the bottom and also on the plug. Sorry for this late info, I just found them looking through a lookin glass. As far as the 5 or S is concerned does anybody have a picture of these symbols or that doesn't really matter at all?

V40

Last edited:
Hi Mark, the 'X' is a cross if you know what i mean and its a kosher WW2 gren.

Andy

Re-read my last post as I have added more info I found on the grenade.

You guys are great!

Mark,
there were a few different types of markings on WW2 zinc alloy filler screws. Most were plain, some had an arrow, some had APDP and a Z, others had the markings you described, just depended on who made them.
Try www.millsgrenades.co.uk/ and you should see the various types there plus anything else you need about the Mills bomb.

Andy

Thanks for all of your help with these and tips, here is a picture of the finnished result after restoration.

Thanks,
Darren

Attachments

• 001 - Copy (1632 x 494).jpg
    001 - Copy (1632 x 494).jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 34
Hi Darren, a Fine showing of Mills #36 grenades. To get 5 at one time would be considered nothing short of a windfall. It is like getting a collection in one postal package. Good score...Dano

Mark,

just reread one of your posts which confirms that your Mills is of Canadian origin, The S inside a diamond or similar shape you refer to on the centre tube and the base plug stands for the Stokes Rubber Co, a Canadian maker and these were fitted to the majority of Canadian produced 36s.
Canadian grens would have found their way to the UK during WW2 but Brit produced ones most certainly would not have made it back to you.
Gotta go repair the carpet now, new pup dosnt like the colour.

Andy