What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LAW selling question

pointblank0

BOCN Supporter
Hello all.
I am thinking of selling my LAW. Has there been any recent changes regarding postage of these? I will be posting UK only and was thinking of packaging it with an Inert letter inside the packaging.

Also, deactivated firearms. If I was to post by Royal Mail, does the certificate go inside the package? Has anyone had any bad experiences recently?

Cheers

Separately !

Regarding Firearms (de-ac's) If you post the whole thing and it falls into the wrong hands then it is worth the full value to the person who has it-I would suggest that the two are posted separately with the certificate going recorded/signed for, delivery and a poor copy (so it is evidently a copy) going with the item.

You are very trusting as my experiences are not good with Ordnance items.

Last edited:
Regarding Firearms (de-ac's) If you post the whole thing and it falls into the wrong hands then it is worth the full value to the person who has it-I would suggest that the two are posted separately with the certificate going recorded/signed for, delivery and a poor copy (so it is evidently a copy) going with the item.

You are very trusting as my experiences are not good with Ordnance items.

OK. Thanks for the advice. Maybe I'd better resist the Royal mail thing then and arrange a courier who I can run it by first and get insurance.
Again, thanks for your help, I see that more and more ordnance related items are going missing lately.

I wouldn't post a copy with it,with the serial number you can get a new certificate from the proof house.
Had to do this myself on one occasion when I lost a cert,best to send both items seperately,if the buyer is happy with this, insured and signed for.

Tony

One off ?

I wouldn't post a copy with it,with the serial number you can get a new certificate from the proof house.
Had to do this myself on one occasion when I lost a cert,best to send both items seperately,if the buyer is happy with this, insured and signed for.

Tony
Interesting Tony I was always under the impression that the certificate was a "one off" and would never be duplicated by the proof house.
Thank you for that valuable information.

I was always under the impression that the certificate was a "one off" and would never be duplicated by the proof house.

The Proof Houses will issue a replacement certificate if the weapon is taken to them to be inspected and the original deactivation work hasn't been altered. I did this myself last year with a deactivated Bren gun.

Mark

I can assure you that you do NOT have to re-submit the weapon for examination,have done so via phone and post to the proof house myself

Tony

Why would they want or need to? to re-activate a de-act you would need a new firing pin,bolt head,bolt,receiver and barrel! if you know the proccess of de-activation you will also know that it is impossible re-activate the above parts,long gone are the days of melting out a lead plug and getting a new firing pin!
If someone had access to the above parts why use a de-act for the non restricted parts which are freely available.?
I have sent to the Birmingham proof house a cert for a Portugeese mauser that had 7.92mm as the calibre to get it changed to 6.5mm(issued a new one) and sent off for a replacement cert for a S.M.L.E Mk V which was lost,neither weapons were sent/taken to the proof houses for inspection,all they needed were the cert No.s,weapon serial No.s and the year from the de-act stamp on the weapons and of course payment for the certs.

Tony

From what I have seen that 7.92mm on the Portuguese Mauser cert. really doesn't surprise me. I once saw an Ishapore SMLE certified "Country of Origin: UK, Manufactuer: Lee Enfield".

Why would they want or need to? to re-activate a de-act you would need a new firing pin,bolt head,bolt,receiver and barrel! if you know the proccess of de-activation you will also know that it is impossible re-activate the above parts,long gone are the days of melting out a lead plug and getting a new firing pin!
If someone had access to the above parts why use a de-act for the non restricted parts which are freely available.?
I have sent to the Birmingham proof house a cert for a Portugeese mauser that had 7.92mm as the calibre to get it changed to 6.5mm(issued a new one) and sent off for a replacement cert for a S.M.L.E Mk V which was lost,neither weapons were sent/taken to the proof houses for inspection,all they needed were the cert No.s,weapon serial No.s and the year from the de-act stamp on the weapons and of course payment for the certs.

Tony

Thats again very interesting. Perhaps the Birmingham Proof House has a different policy to the London one? In my case I took the gun to the London Proof House, which was where it had been originally certified. When I spoke to them to arrange it, (Oct 2009) nobody said anything about being able to arrange a new certificate without a new inspection.

Im very familiar with the process of deactivation. Im just puzzled as to why they would issue a new certificate without an inspection as a deact doesnt have to be restored to full working order to lose its legal deactivation status. Any interference with the deactivation work such as cutting welds or replacing any pressure bearing components will do that.

Mark