What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lewis gun Magazine chest?

starshell

Premium Member
IMG_9584.JPGIMG_9585.JPGIMG_9586.JPGIMG_9588.JPGIMG_9589.JPGIMG_9590.JPGIMG_9595.JPG
Good evening,
On a quick visit to a local antiques shop today, I was walking back to the car (having bought nothing) and spotted this metal box in the shop back yard amongst a pile of broken and rusty antique bits. It was their rubbish pile. Long story short, they sold me the box for £10...
I'm of the opinion its a Lewis gun magazine chest, albeit missing its internal divider?
My questions are: Could this be a first war period piece or were these boxes produced post war?
What do you think of the paint? Original?
Would any members have any images of such a box detailing original paint and usage?
I don't have a great deal of knowledge when it comes to First war boxes and chests so any info would be much appreciated.
Many thanks!

Many thanks Snufkin, much appreciated. Tried looking for any sign of a makers stamp but no joy as yet.