What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Link identification required

LCplCombat

MODERATOR/ORDNANCE APPROVED
Ordnance approved
Both of these are 7.62, I guess they are Russian originally, but whats the difference?

100_0637.jpg

100_0635.jpg

100_0636.jpg

Linked to my Gallery

The link in the top of the first picture and in the middle picture looks like MG42 link to me.

How long is it? The standard MG42 link is 50 rounds long

I don't recognise the other link.

Last edited:
The link on the top is an MG42 Link and the bottom Link is for the Russian Maxim MG1911 for 7.62x54R, I have the one shown and one of a slightly different design, they also had a cloth belt on the early models.

Richard

.... the bottom Link is for the Russian Maxim MG1911 for 7.62x54R, I have the one shown and one of a slightly different design, they also had a cloth belt on the early models.

Richard

The bottom belt is originally for the SG-43 and was then slightly modified (while still exchangeable) for use in the PK (series). The M1910 Maxim is using this belt only because web belts were phased out due to many problems such belts are causing. So it it would be incorrect to call it a Maxim belt.

I think the MG42 belt is actually from the 7.62mm nato MG3,Germanys current(ish) version of the MG42,the little 'lug' that you can just about see coming off the starter link at 90 degrees would suggest this.
Sorry about the blurred photo's,best I can do in this light,first is a MG3 link second a WW2 MG42 link

Tony

P5080004.jpgP5080005.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, so the consensus on the first belt with the "tail" is MG-42? It's still covered in sand from either Iraq or Afghanistan which is why I thought it was Russian. The other one came back from Afghanistan too. Both are 50 rounds long. They both take a 7.62. The "tail" one will take a .303 as it expands slightly, the other one having a complete ring wont take the .303.

I think the MG42 belt is actually from the 7.62mm nato MG3,Germanys current(ish) version of the MG42,the little 'lug' that you can just about see coming off the starter link at 90 degrees would suggest this

Tony

awwwww, you posted this while I was responding :( This would make more sense because its come back from a modern combat zone. I was hoping that it was going to suggest that the bad guys have been using some really exotic stuff.

Another intresting point about the German MG3 is that it can use the 50 round belt above or it can use the M13 nato disintergating links as used on our G.P.M.G without any alteration to the gun

The markings on that MG3 belt would be of interest since many countries manufacture(d) them.

The only marking I can find looks like a stylised church. I can't get a decent photo but I drew this in mspaint. It's located on the hooked tab.

styilised church.JPG

Hello,

finally I found a thread for which I can contribute :) !

The first belt is indeed West-German DM1 50-round belt for MG 3 in calibre .308 NATO. The manufacturer using the code symbol with the church is "Heinr. Hlter jr., Iserlohn"

The second belt was made in Yougoslavia for the Zastava M84 GPMG (basically a PKM ) in caliber 7.62x54R. The key features of the Yougo belts is the small hole on the link and no markings on the starter tang.

Cheers,

JFL

Hello,

here is the standard shipping box for the DM1 belt assembly. It contains five 50-round belts and one starter segment. This production by Hlter is dated 1966.

DM1beltboxHulter.jpg

I have never seen any other symbol or code than the "church" for Hlter.

Cheers,

JFL

Excellent, thank you very much!

Now I wonder why it is a 250 rd belt. Have never seen anything longer than 50 rd. Do you know what was inside this box?

Last edited:
Hello,

here is the standard shipping box for the DM1 belt assembly. It contains five 50-round belts and one starter segment. This production by Hlter is dated 1966.

Cheers,
JFL

Excellent, thank you very much!

Now I wonder why it is a 250 rd belt. Have never seen anything longer than 50 rd. Do you know what was inside this box?

EOD, I think he mentioned that it was 5 - 50 rd segments together in 1 box.

Thanks Hotchkiss for the info :D