What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Live ammo on SA?

From what I understood earlier, it seemed like the kid had done something else which caused the explosion, and blamed it on the mortar. Is this still what is understood to have happened?

From the photo of the injury, it looked like even a shop bought firework could have caused it.

I did ask, but got no reply. I think it took so long to get to the proper authorities, that any chance of sending the blamed part to the lab and checking the powder traces etc and matching it to the mortar and hand, was long gone.

Hey SMLE,

I think so too, but when buying via SA and the likes, not having hands on the items concerned, one's pretty much dependant on pictures and/or info supplied by the seller.
There are plenty of sellers out there whom are quite knowledgable, but there are just as many that really haven't got a clue!
(I've seen dug up riflegrenades and bazooka rockets advertised on a Dutch site, the seller claiming they had been rendered safe by years underground !!!! The seller actually got pretty offensive, telling me I was a "so and so know it all", when I sent him a PM telling him he was playing with his life and those of the ones around him'. The fact he was taking this risk is due to the fact that there probably would have been someone willing to take the risk to buy such pieces!).

The point being;
( considering the inherent dangers of ordnance I mentioned in my former post) Even for the most knowledgable among us (whether selling or buying) the judgement on safety of a piece of ordnance always contains an amount of uncertainty.
Many more misjudgements are likely to happen with the inevitable "d.ckheads" selling things they know nothing about. And usually chances for a buyer to make an safety assesment in advance, when buying via the internet, are pretty meagre.

So, in the end, theres only one that can judge upon the safety of a piece of ordnance, that person being the recipient. (Thus: when in doubt dont buy and/or have sent).

To be completely honest, I once "ff-ed up" big time, buying a piece unseen (except for some pictures).
It turned out to be a live 2 cm APHE round containing a selfdestruct fuze that had been heavily meddled with, the seller being well known and, afaik, respected !!
(And to show that not even knowledge is a safeguard. This, or last, year, a licensed Dutch collector was killed trying to dismantle a German 2 cm Flak shell, this man was well aware the piece was live).

last and hopefully least; probably the one thing potentially more dangerous to ones live, other than ignorantly messing about with ordnance,.. is Spotter in a tutu,....... but thats another subject.

regards,

Menno.

Last edited:
Hi Menno,
I do get your point Menno,I'm just a bit uncomfortable with the buyer only being responsible bit,there are hefty legal penalties,in this country,awaiting any unlicenced seller/collector who sell/have live ordnance,knowingly or unknowing, apart from this surely we sellers have a responsibility that what we sell is what we say it is especially if we don't someone at the other end could get hurt or killed?
Yes there are d***heads out there doing this but arn't they being irresponsible?(no reflection on Rob who I am sure is 100% innocent and getting the blame for someone elses stupidity)
I like to think I am a responsible collector and I would hope I am also a responsible seller.

Cheers
Tony

Hey Tony,

I get your point, and I agree with you to a very large extend.

I guess that what I was trying to say is that as a (potential) online buyer one can (unless one is sure the seller is responsible and knowledagble too) never be sure that the person on the other end is capable of assuming the same responsibility (e.g. for lack of knowledge, sheer stupidity or lack of interest).

I therefor feel the buyer is the last link in determining wheter or not (potentially dangerous) ordnance is going to be sent via mail or courier etc.

For that reason I feel being ultimately responsible for everthing coming my way, as the seller, who wouldn't be sending iff someone weren't buying, might not be capable of assessing any potential risks that might be about to be taken.

Kind regards,

Menno.

Having experienced a "surprise" specimen or two in the collection, I think it's safe to say we need to stay alert. While this specific item (mortar fuze) was definitely inert, it does happen that sometimes there's more included in the buy/trade than one expects. Quiet consultations were the answer in my experieneces. As for the kid, he's lucky like I was lucky. I do have a scar (actually three!) from my youthful craftiness. And a tale(s). I suspect it's a similar "attempt" on his part to make something go bang. I tried 'em all. Always went for something a little bigger/louder. The urge has never left. :wink:

Rick

Last edited:
Well, all done. Investigation complete. Marked as crime related incident with no suspects. Either conflicting evidence with what the guy had said, or no evidence of foul play.
The only problem now is that DPS have been informed and may be investigating me as maybe having a business interest in selling goods without telling the correct people at work. Shouldn't be a problem though as I have every item I have sold documented on my computer as being part of my collection.
Thanks everyone for the support.
Rob