What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Location of Sky Flash cutaway

Weasel Pilot

I have seen pictures (none-too-good, unfortunately) of a Sky Flash missile cutaway in a museum, persumably in the UK. Have tried to track it down without luck. Anyone know its whereabouts?

Dave Mason

No, it is very different.

The Skyflash is a supersonic, medium- range, air-to-air missile developed by the UK from the American AIM-7 Sparrow missile. The latest version of the missile has a boost-sustain, solid fuel rocket motor giving it a greater range than previous versions. The missile can intercept and destroy enemy targets in all weather conditions, with the ability to ‘snap-up’ or ‘snap-down’ to engage targets at ultra-high or low level. The missile discriminates between separate target groups and can operate in a variety of countermeasure environments.

The Skyflash missiles on the F3 are recessed into the underside of the aircraft and are launched by large rams forcing them away from the launch aircraft. The missile uses semi-active homing, where the launch aircraft illuminates the target and the missile uses its built-in radar receiver to home on the reflected energy. This semi-active guidance limits the launch aircraft’s ability to manoeuvre until missile impact, as the launch aircraft must maintain positive radar contact with the target. In a typical beyond-visual- range (BVR) engagement the missile is launched and semi-actively guided until the active-radar proximity fuse detonates the high-explosive fragmentation warhead near to the target.

Although Skyflash is primarily a BVR missile, it can also be employed at shorter ranges, where the missile is optimised to ensure quick reaction times and maximum manoeuvrability after it has been launched.

Attachments

• Active-Skyflash-Cutaway-S.jpg
    Active-Skyflash-Cutaway-S.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Oops I got that one wrong, thanks for the update Jayteepee - think I'll stick to shells, still that's what the forum is all about........learning. Good luck with your hunt for the cutaway in the museum Dave.

Dave.

Thanks, and thanks to JAYTEEPEE for the cutaway. That's for the newer, active variant and I'm (unfortunately) looking for the older variant as used by the RAF during the 80s and early 90s.

Dave

skyflash

:tinysmile_hmm_t:
I have seen pictures (none-too-good, unfortunately) of a Sky Flash missile cutaway in a museum, persumably in the UK. Have tried to track it down without luck. Anyone know its whereabouts?

Dave Mason
hi weasel,a message from west yorks if its any help.Johnsons of leeds,01132 775237,I noticed one of the said drill missiles on top of a container out side of their ware house!.no idea of price but you could give them a ring.next time I go to leeds will pop in and make enquires if its still there.regards jonnyjamup.

Weasel,
I would think you would want to have a air to air AIM-7E Sparrow from back when you were in Desert Storm my friend. As you know the AIM-9 Sidewinders in Vietnam were the best weapons besides a gun. Just my $00.001 cents.

Mark