What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

London Blitz Incendairy

satan18

This little gem speaks volumes and came from the Southwark
Area on the Banks of the river Thames.

It came to light in 1973 when the PLA Dredged the river banks.
It was released to me with the Known wereabouts logged at the time.

It is the standard 1KG version and is Fully Inert and is Empty.

My theory is that it could have hit the banks at low tide and put itself out
or it could have been put out and thrown in the river.

For some reason i rather like this one as it is a moment in history stuck forever.

Attachments

• London Incendairy 001.jpg
    London Incendairy 001.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 74
  • London Incendairy 002.jpg
    London Incendairy 002.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 73
hi phil
Nice momento of the blitz ? i wonder how many more are in their ?

hi phil
Nice momento of the blitz ? i wonder how many more are in their ?

Hi Steve

I Suspect hundreds as i think were westminster bridge is and the new wobblie bridge is situated there are a few bigger bombs deep down which is why the new bridge is suspended rather than on pilings.

Think of the flight path and the width and lengh of the river,that would keep someone buisy for a while.

Best phil

Hi Phil
There was a lot of readings when some bridges were surveyed , but i think most if not all were discredited as being mettalic debris on the river bed . i would lovee to find something like that myself

Hi Phil
There was a lot of readings when some bridges were surveyed , but i think most if not all were discredited as being mettalic debris on the river bed . i would lovee to find something like that myself

In all that London blue clay lovely preservation:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Best phil

The good thing about German bombs all though they look mucky they never rusted badly having seen many over the years a high pressure hose was all that was needed.
We have a Hermann blown up by the navy off Herm that was dredged up by a trawler ,2 years ago a wire brushing the metal was still bright after all those years submerged

The good thing about German bombs all though they look mucky they never rusted badly having seen many over the years a high pressure hose was all that was needed.
We have a Hermann blown up by the navy off Herm that was dredged up by a trawler ,2 years ago a wire brushing the metal was still bright after all those years submerged

Would that be the one that broke its mooring on the sea bed and was lost
for a while,as i have a nice picture of that when it was on the beech.

It was something to do with works on the sea wall i beleive,and apart from
being a bit crusty around the fuse pocket it was immaculate.

Best phil