What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Longest shell case ever.

SG500

Premium Member
I suppose all of us assume that the 800 x 1300 Gustav shell case would be the biggest shell case you could ever hope to have in your collection but does anyone out there know what the LONGEST shell case is?
I've just been glancing through a case listing that mentions a 240 x 1842 case for the 24cm flak gun. Was it ever made? Has anyone got a photo of the round? I'd imagine it would be one impressive round.
Did any other nations make any shell cases longer than that?
Dave.

Hi Dave
I have been collecting cartridge case dimensions for a few years and these are all i have listed that are longer than 1300mm..
238 x 1342R 24cm K 3
350 x 1440R Skoda howitzer
149 x 1495R experimental 15cm Flak
238 x 1842R experimental 24cm Flak

Which leads me to a question which i ask from time to time..........does anyone know where i can obtain a copy of Robert Hawkinson's list which i have never seen but have heard of.

I once saw a photo of sailors loading a 6" gun with fixed ammunition, and the case looked long. I have no idea how long, though Surely robust lads, however as the shell alone weighs over 100 pounds.

There's a 152x1057R listed in an old UMC catalogue but i don't know whether it was a fixed or seperate round.
More info required!

Thanks for your feedback guys, I keep hoping someone is going to post a photo of one of the giant shells on the list.
I remember a few years ago seeing a black and white photo of some rounds that looked like huge King Tiger rounds (the KT round in the photo looked small) and can't remember where, will have to dig through the library.
Anyone else got any ideas?
Dave.

Dave, wasn't that B/W photo with KT next to a experimental 15 cm Flak case? I myself have seen the 80 cm Dora and some huge Austrian 30+ cm case (I guess the mentioned howitzer) but my "biggest" are not even close to this.

Dave, wasn't that B/W photo with KT next to a experimental 15 cm Flak case? I myself have seen the 80 cm Dora and some huge Austrian 30+ cm case (I guess the mentioned howitzer) but my "biggest" are not even close to this.
Hi yes you may be right, I just have to dig out the photo now if I can find it. Yes, have also seen the Dora case, awesome.
Dave.

Hi Dave

does anyone know where i can obtain a copy of Robert Hawkinson's list which i have never seen but have heard of.

I'll send Bob an e-mail and see if I can release his address.

IMG_4532.jpg I did find this one
128x960R (rim 166mm)
128x1180R (rim 215mm)
149x1495R (rim 227mm... apparently, but looks larger than that)

Cant boast the longest but the pre WWI German 50 x 462mm straight case must be one of the slimest.

for the 52x462R rim is 64mm dia and case just above the rim its 56mm dia. Do you know the approx. years of use for this round and the same for the shorter necked 52x332R round.

Thank,s for the info.. I have a GER. 50x322R77.5 proj. dia. 50mm no naval stamp on the case and no year.
Have seen the same ? case naval stamped & 1909 dated. Is there a 50.mm & a 52mm round ?
FRANK.