What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for 0pics and info M424 8"

weberoed

Ordnance approved
I am trying to add to my library, am looking for any pics, documents or drawings on the M 424 8" Spotting round for the 8" nuc projectile.

Thanks
Mike

If you key in "M424 projectile" in google, you will get some material. There is a maintenance manual out there with graphics. Also, if you go to the National Atomic Museum web site in New Mexico, you might find some photos.

thanks, already down loaded that pub. I use to have a couple decent pics fromw hen I was at the 61st on Ft Sill, but as time goes by so do the pics somethings, just can't find them now.
thoght some collector would have grabed on to photos or other info on this projo

I have no pictures, only some info on the Projectile 8 in. How HE Spotting M424:

Designed for airburst registration in conjunction with nuclear projectile.

The projectile is manufactured to much higher standards than normal HE projectiles.

A removeable aluminium ogive provides a housing for the Fuze MT M543. (The M543 fuze had 3 separate timers; the M543A1 had two separate timers; the M591 fuze was an M543 with booster M125A2).

Main filling is 12 Lb Tritonal or composition `B' (TNT/RDX/Wax).

The M424A1 is identical externally to the M424 but with slight internal differences.

The Projectile 8 in. How HE Training XM440 was not to be fired but used to train people in operations involving the nuclear war reserve projectile.

Matthew, XT

thanks for the info

whee did you get your info, just looking for another eference I canadd to my library

the XM440 was what we called a 3A trainer, had all the bells and whistles for the arty crew, can't remember if it had the seperate parts like the M422 Nuc had though. Gold in color

Mike

My info was from my basic AT course notes in 1979. We were given only that information as I believe anything more detailed would have attracted a higher security classification. If anything that was only Restricted was in print then it would have been in A&ER (Ammo & Explosives Regulations) Vol 3, Pam 6, Part ? (I forget which Part 8 inch How was).