What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for info on a 27mm

US-Subs

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
Ordnance approved
Premium Member
I've got a guy asking a question about a fired 27mm projo marked 27G DM21. Below the 27G markings is DM1086. Anyone recognize this (DM1086) marking or know what it is for? It doesn't show up in anything I've got. The round is unfuzed, so it's not known if it could be for the fuze or not. Any info or a data sheet would be appreciated.

2_imagejpeg_2.jpg

I'm thinking 27mm Mauser gun for the Tornado. There is a German Tornado wing in New Mexico.

Hey Guys,

Question... could it be just a lot number?!?...

Anyhow, I don't know if any of assistance but I did find some info on Jane's. Here's an interesting chart found under "Cannon - 20 to 30 mm cannon, Switzerland", "27 145 B ammunition",

Cheers.

Luc.

g0038285.jpg

Last edited:
The first round on the chart is a DM21 Air-to-Air combat HE. I'm thinking DM1086 could be a lot number also, or loading number.

DM is normally a model number for Germany, the four digit seemed reminicent of the WWII fuze numbers for 20mm and such - while stamped seems unusual for a fuze marking, the DM mark did not seem typical for a German lot number. Of course I cannot find the number listed as a fuze either. Maybe projectile number vs cartridge number?

Hello again,

Here's more info found on Jane's earlier. More specific to DM-21. The document is too long to post entirely.

"There arethree types of Mauser 27 mm full-calibre High-Explosive (HE) ammunition: HE DM 21, HE DM31 and the self-destruct HE-SD DM 11. They are all designed for operationsagainst aircraft in air-to-air combat. All have an electro-magnetic nose fuzewhich functions even at extremely flat impact angles. A delayed action in thefuze ensures good fragmentation after the projectile has entered the target."

And here's what I found on Ordata.

http://ordatamines.maic.jmu.edu/displaydata.aspx?OrDataId=5250

Hope that help.

Regards.

Luc.

Last edited:
Just curious. checked the Ordata link and it advised, do not neuralize, disarm or demolish. What do you do to get rid of it then? I realise that there are things you wish you did not have to deal with, but this dosn't seem to give you many options.

Hi Jeff, howe is it.
DM 1089 is the model number of the empty projectile.
Erik

Attachments

• 27 mm.jpg
    27 mm.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 74
Thanks Erik, that's what I needed. JO

To add to this … does anyone have a DM31 projectile they can take pictures of? I am looking for just a picture of the projectile out of the cartridge.

Joe