What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for info on British 4.5 inch AA and HE

Thanks for the info anyone know what other fuses fitted these shells.
Did any of the NATO Fuses get fitted?
Regards
Bart

Hi Dave
I'm lead to believe that both types projectile where used in the Mk3-5, with & without the cannelure, the projectile with the cannelure are old Mk2 type projectile I have one with something like 3 sets of dates starting in 1943.
The Mk8 projectile is a completely different projectile having 3 cannelure on it, if you look at the page from Jane's you can see the Mk8 projectile the HE next to earlier Mk3-5

cheers Harry, that's interesting about the use of these Mk 2s. And yes, quite right about the Mk8s, realised that as soon as I sent the email and looked at one of my own!

4.5 shell

Hello
Hope to br able to help you with the shell
1 4.5 HEUC SL MKTN10 (High Explosive Universal Cavity Separete Load)
2 NATO HE coulor markings
3 The plate at the base is for a tracer (worked on loads of them never found a tracer fitted)
4 Its not a MK8 shell as they are a fixed round
5 When fuzed fitted with a 211
6 Still in service with only with Ecuador (ships were originally UK Leanders Then sold on to Chile
7 Not able to remember where DL is located(I think it was inspected scraped and repainted there)
Hope this info is ok
Yours Steve
PS Hope the shell is empty

Hello all - noted the 4.5 inch thread - Im actually ex Royal Navy and having been kept awake by mk8 I was after a 4.5 round (SUP/ starshell or other) ... ie a mk6 shell vs a mk8 shell pls case (round) ... I have a few cases lying around!

Though if someone had a spare mk8 round thats good too

Any options do send me a PM.

ps: nice 'bricks'!"

Last edited by a moderator: