What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for info on UK 2&3-inch air to air rockets

US-Subs

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
Ordnance approved
Premium Member
I was shown this piece by a local bomb tech today. My docs say that the No. 720 was used on 2-inch and 3-inch air to air rockets. Does anyone have any info and pictures of these items? Thanks.

DSCN5367.JPGDSCN5368.JPGDSCN5369.JPGDSCN5375.JPGDSCN5376.JPGDSCN5371.JPG

The fuze and warhead shown are Naval stores, the fuze being a No 720 Mk. IV N, the warhead is also marked with a N and I presume the 2 U denotes it is a 2" UP (Unrotated Projectile). The fuze was made by Smith Meters, Streatham.

As far as I'm aware these, the 2", were only surface to air - Anti-Aircraft.

TimG

The 2" aren't the aircraft type, they came later, in the '50s and used a fuze similar profile to the practice plug.

Does anyone have a picture of a complete item, or a document?

It would appear the 3" UP started life as the ammunition for the 'Z' Battery, which was a land based Anti-Aircraft rocket battery. The 3" UP then begat the RP - 3" which was the aircraft launched, air to ground rocket projectile. This was used for 'Tank Busting' anti-submarine and other roles. The RP - 3" begat the "Land mattress" rocket.

TimG

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the help. Now, does anyone know of a rocket motor available? (2-inch)?

Here the complete round assembly chart.

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2023-11-18 om 19.15.49.png
    Schermafbeelding 2023-11-18 om 19.15.49.png
    150 KB · Views: 26
  • Schermafbeelding 2023-11-18 om 19.16.00.png
    Schermafbeelding 2023-11-18 om 19.16.00.png
    142.8 KB · Views: 26