What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking to find out what this is

millsbomber

Premium Member
Hi all does any one know what this is, I will be honest wish to sell it on quick fire.
thanks Dave

DSC03155 (2).jpg DSC03156 (2).jpg DSC03157 (2).jpg DSC03158 (2).jpg

Dave, It is a smoke unit for a Mk 7 anti-tank mine

This is the thing that used to kill soldiers with depressingly monotonous regularity, according to the six monthly ammo accidents and incidents report summary. "It's only a training aid. You can jump up and down on it and all you get is a puff of smoke." I suppose the steel top cover turned into a projectile.

More details Bonnex ?
Is it for a practice mine ?

The nomenclature may be a bit confusing but the term 'Mark 7 Series' covers the Mark 7 Mine and its sub-marks [7/4 and 7/7], the L2A1 Practice Mine and the L1A1 Smoke Unit. It does not include the L3A1 despite its similar shape. When the Bar mine was introduced it was decided to keep the Mark 7 Series in store for use in defence operations and, initially, to store the mine FUZED (an idea that didn't last). The Mark 7 mines were also for training in minefield construction and fuzing which was not easy to do with bar mines unless a reasonable amount of plant was available (FV432 in sustained agricultural role).

The L2 Practice Mine and the Smoke Unit were developed for testing the effectiveness of a minefield. The designs date from around 1955 and Dave's example is I believe an early experimental design [X1E1] but I could be wrong.