What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

lost an eod to afghanistan

daddybob67

Chicago native was killed couple days ago will working in Afghanistan. 2nd tour just married -- really sucks

Sad news indeed, condolences to the family. Do you have a link to a news item?

I have no way of tracking the EOD techs from other countries and I know they have suffered numerous casualties, but August and September for the US EOD people was especially bad. We have lost 7 killed and at least 10 wounded that I can account for. Three Army, two Marine Corps and two Air Force killed. All but two of those killed were due to combat action or IED attacks. The most recent loss was Air Force Senior Airman Daniel Johnson who was assigned to Vandenburg AFB. He was killed in Afghanistan while returning from an EOD incident when his vehicle was hit by a large roadside IED. His team member Tech Sgt Robert Butler was seriously injured and will be medivaced to the states soon. Many of the injuries are serious with limb amputations and severe blast damage. There are some very brave people out there dong a dangerous job.

Any loss to the worlwide EOD community is tragic. Condolences.
I was at the funeral of a good friend and former EOD officer recently and it was an honour to be amongst so many currently serving Ammunition Techncians/Technical Officers who hold gallantry awards. It was anecdotally reported as the biggest gathering of the holders of the George Medal and Queens Gallantry Medal for many years. Also sobering was the sight of those who have lost limbs on EOD Operations.
These true heroes of our time deserve all the recognition and support we can give them. Their work in Afghanistan is awesome compared to anything that has been done before. My last tour as an operator in Northern Ireland I dealt with about 8 live IED in 4 months. These guys are doing that number daily for 6 months and in extreme conditions.
Keep them in your hearts and minds.

EOD techs,

EOD personnel strive to make the world a safer place,in doing so place themselves in mortal danger,to describe them as heroes and courageous just simply does not go far enough,
Respect and thanks,
Don,

he was air force, returning back to base when hit with ied. what really pissed me off was it was on the midnight new cast for wgn Chicago. didnt see it during regular news cast or next morning but may have missed it. eod job to me is the toughest in the millitary, but then you have Afghanistan were your under fire at same time. and this was his second tour, just dont have the words to express how i feel about this soldier. sorry i had to hear about him this way.