What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lot markings

Dado

HI. I need help marking shell lots and fuzes. In the first photo they are clear. CY 613 (Chorley) for shells and RS 853 (Rotherwas) for fuzes

CA037.jpg

The following presents the shell lot in the circle (365) and the fuze lot at the bottom CY 146

CA006.jpg

Do the following two boxes have the fuze lots in the circle and the shell lots on the left? Or is there a regulation for these markings in the circle?

CA002.jpgAustralian
CA038.jpgGreat Britain with LZ factory (South Africa)
Thanks for your help

ROF Rotherwas didn't exist. Rotherwas was a more accurate location for ROF Hereford. Hereford's monogram was "HD" they only filled Class 8,9 & 10 - artillery shells and aircraft bombs.

The monogram appears to be "RS" which was County Industries Ltd., York, which was in fact Rowntree's (the confectioner) whether this was subterfuge or not, I don't know. However, Rowntree's along with Frys and Cadburys had strong Quaker links and war work would have been against the grain.

I believe the filled shell lots are shown within the circles and the fuze lots shown to the left. However, I need to confer with a higher authority.

TimG

The doubt concerns the last steel box... on the left there is the batch of BR 1238 fuzes and on the right the batch of 97 bullets. But there is LZ 12/42. It's not clear to me. There appear to be two lots of shells and nothing for the fuzes.

LZ 12/42 - Place and date of filling - Lenz, Dec 1942.
97 - Filling Lot Number.

Are there other makings on the ends or other side?

TimG

The other side is the same but worn. On the side, quantity indication, fuze and Baratol filling indication

CA038_2.jpg

a Lot number in a circle - filled series Lot No. used on Projectiles. not used on fuzes.

HI. I need help marking shell lots and fuzes. In the first photo they are clear. CY 613 (Chorley) for shells and RS 853 (Rotherwas) for fuzes

View attachment 192163

The following presents the shell lot in the circle (365) and the fuze lot at the bottom CY 146

View attachment 192164

Do the following two boxes have the fuze lots in the circle and the shell lots on the left? Or is there a regulation for these markings in the circle?

View attachment 192165Australian
View attachment 192166Great Britain with LZ factory (South Africa)
Thanks for your help
BR 1236? will be the Monogram and BatchLot number that cover the projectile and fuze together. BR being the station.1700994119234.png

I would be surprised if it was "BR" as this was ROF Bridgend, Cardiff and would indicate we shipped filled fuzes to South Africa. Whilst I have been unable to identify any fuze manufacturers in South Africa, they were more than capable of doing so and they would have been filled by one of the smaller S.A. filling facilities.

Snufkin might be able to shed some light on the matter.

TimG

UK manufactured fuze No.119 (both filled and empty) were sent to South Africa.

South Africa initially struggled with labour, plant and materials to produce munitions, and the priorities for fuze production in 1940 and 1941 were Nos 150 and 152 for mortar rounds, and No.117 for 25-pr HE shell. Plans were in place to manufacture No.119 in mid 1941 but were postponed until 1942-3, and in the interim were obtained from New Zealand, UK, and even the USA.

See this thread for a UK-made No.119 MkIV, ultimately filled (or refilled) at Lenz Bomb and Shell Filling Factory:

https://www.bocn.co.uk/threads/no-119-fuzes-questions.105844/#post-328014