What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lotta 81mm Illuminating Mortar

w1ngs

This is my first post on BOCN and I'm glad I found this forum online.

I checked up on ordata and found a visual match for a mortar shell I'd like information on. Here's a link to its page:

http://maic.jmu.edu/ordata/srdetaildesc.asp?ordid=5030

Is anyone familiar with this kind of round? Any information?

Thanks.

Attachments

• PICT0076.jpg
    PICT0076.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
Hi there, it looks like an 81mm Illum L28 (French Design and manufacture) ... apart from the tail fin assembly which is different to the one that the L28 uses.

again the fuze is like the one used on the L28 (the FH81B)

Hope this helps a bit.

Thanks for the info. Ordata didn't reveal anything of French origin that looked like this round.

Interesting stuff for sure.

I want to clean mine up for display purposes (it's just an inert round with no innards).

Unfortunately it was left in a wet climate long enough for a small amount of rust to form inside the fuze. I got some of the clockwork free enough that I can gently move it but other parts are going to take some more prodding. The threaded section mid-boy unscrews beautifully and has no damage.

It should look quite nice once I clean it up. It's quite a conversation-piece.

Hi,
May I ask you were you found your very nice piece?? Because it might might be Cdn.!! We had a version of it in the 70's.
Cheers.
FCAT.

This was given to me by a friend whose brother brought it here from Alberta I believe. I'm not at all aware of its history beyond that point.

Hello again w1ngs,

Here what I was thinking... If your piece was found somewhere on our land, It might be a Cart, 81mm, Illuminating C-47. It is design and manufactured by AB, BOFORS of Sweden. Yes the round is Swiss but we bough it for our use and give it a Cdn nomenclature just like other ordnances that we buy from other countries. (it's not like this all the time, but often enough !) For example, the Carl-Gustav.

The fuze... is the same thing... if it is attach to a Cdn round... (And let suppose that it is a Cdn round) it is more likely going to be given a Cdn nomenclature as well. It this case, it should be a MT, fuze, C-21, which is designed to be use on projectiles with little or no spin. The fuze is manufactured for AB BOFORS of Sweden by TAVARO, SA of Switzerland and is designated by them as TYPE 966. Check on the fuze if there is any other mark then timer graduation. The model and lot number of the fuze should be stamped just beneath the graduation mark.

Here some pictures (Sorry... I don't know why they are opening individually) and I hope it is what you were looking for.
If it is right and you need more info, PM me.

Cheers.
FCAT.

Mortar, Cart 81mm, C-47-5.jpgMortar, Cart 81mm, C-47-6.jpgMortar, Cart 81mm, C-47-7.jpgMortar, Cart 81mm, C-47-8.jpgMortar, Cart 81mm, C-47-9.gifFuze MT, C-21.jpgFuze MT, C-21-2.jpg

Last edited: