What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lucky find.

SG500

Premium Member
This one was a lucky find for a very good price earlier in the week.
They're still out there..........
Dave.

Attachments

• 14 Oct 09 015.jpg
    14 Oct 09 015.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 66
  • 14 Oct 09 016.jpg
    14 Oct 09 016.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 117
Hi Spotter, its an early 1.59" Crayford case.
The early ones weren't stamped "1.59".
Lucky for me I have a spare nose fuzed he projectile to fit into it :tinysmile_shy_t:- just need to sort out the severely mashed 131 fuze first.
Dave.

Tony I don't know. Looks to me like someone has tried knocking nails in with it - if its for hardness tests would they test the primer as well?
Dave.

Hi Dave,
That's a good find, when did they start producing these rounds ? I can't see a date stamp on the case, best regards Weasel.

Thanks Weasel.
According to Hogg and Thurston "British Artillery Weapons and ammunition 1914-1918" it was introduced in 1917.
I've got 4 rounds, of those 3 are the "early" ones without dates or 1.59 on them, the other is dated 1917 and has 1.59 stamped on it.
I don't know if the undated ones are trials cases from earlier on. Perhaps someone has some design drawings they can post photos of?
Dave.