What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lulworth Tank Ranges

I was one of the first party that visited lullworth ranges when they were cleared for ramblers , many years ago .
The ranges were watched by service personnel in very high chairs about every 100 mtrs or so , in case people picked thing up.
By the end of the walk i had bent down and tied up my laces about 20 times and came away with some nice bits n pieces .
Steve

When i was there the ranges had a clearance path of about 5 mtrs width
we were asked to report anything suspect , i reported seeing several what looked like 4 inch Mortar rounds .clearly seen just outside the cleared lane/path
it would be nice to see what has been cleared in Llulworth village? itself that was all fenced off .
Steve

Hi Steve do you mean Tyneham? this is all cleared now and you can look round,although its getting a bit tourist driven. They have recently allowed access to a defensive turret near the beach. The pic attatched is of one of the same design at seacombe nr swanage. Cant remember the types name? Tony:)
sony_1_066.jpg

Can anyone recommend the best legal places to watch the firings at the Lulworth range ideally with somewhere not too far away to leave the car.

What are the most common times for action?

Saw some static firings last year from the top west end of Bindon Hill but the tanks were a long way away.

Thanks.

terrorists

I think a better start on the terror threat would be to ban them from taking flight instruction!!! and leave the fun ordnance shows and displays for the true enthuiasts. Dano