What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

M 1913 discus grenade

paul the grenade

Hi Everyone. Hope you all had a good Christmas and new year.
Here's a project i've been working on and off for ages. its a 1WW German M 1913 discus grenade. All the brass pellets were seized solid in the alloy centre piece and would not budge so with a bit of heat and a lot of soaking in oil for ages i've finally got it all apart and everything now moves freely as it was intended to do 100 years ago! (Thanks Snufkin for your helpful advice!)
The only bit that's missing is the 4 pointed star that fits in the middle. does anyone have a very good picture or diagram of how it is fabricated and how it fits in the centre piece?
Cheers, Paul.:tinysmile_grin_t:

Attachments

• M1913 discus stripped.jpg
    M1913 discus stripped.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 85
  • IMAG0251.jpg
    IMAG0251.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 71
  • M1913 discus.jpg
    M1913 discus.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 60
I have one Paul, I will locate it tomorrow and take pictures for you (if I see someone else has already provided the info you need in the meantime I won't bother). From recall tough it is a very simple star shaped piece of metal with very sharp points about 1cm at widest point. Marcus

Good Morning All - In reply to Pauls request for help, it was a little more difficult to locate the small little star than I thought so I had to painstakingly remove another for you, I have taken a number of pictures in a series to show gradually closer and closer shots of the star in the middle of the discus grenade. To remove from the inner core you first have to remove the two holding pins to hold the star firmly in place and can seen at the side of the star. Also you will note in one of the closer up pictures the back of the base that it was removed from the two holes which held the holding pins now open and clear. The dimentions are 12 mm from tip to tip of point and each point is as sharp as a pin ! Hope this helps and enjoy the pictures.

Regards Marcus

Pic #1.jpgPic #2.jpgPic #3.jpgPic #4.jpgPic #5.jpgPic #6.jpgPic #7.jpg

Impressive collection of discus grenades there Marcus, thanks for showing them.

Dave.

Paul, thanks to you & Marcus, there is now ONE MORE grenade I've GOT to own!!! Funny how ya have no real desire for a certain piece, then ya, read a post in this forum about it, then it's like "I MUST have an (insert grenade) to go with the others or there's no point in having ANY of 'em!" Y'all sure cost me a lotta money:)
THANK YOU!
Timmymac

Hi Everyone. Hope you all had a good Christmas and new year.
Here's a project i've been working on and off for ages. its a 1WW German M 1913 discus grenade. All the brass pellets were seized solid in the alloy centre piece and would not budge so with a bit of heat and a lot of soaking in oil for ages i've finally got it all apart and everything now moves freely as it was intended to do 100 years ago! (Thanks Snufkin for your helpful advice!)
The only bit that's missing is the 4 pointed star that fits in the middle. does anyone have a very good picture or diagram of how it is fabricated and how it fits in the centre piece?
Cheers, Paul.:tinysmile_grin_t:

Discus grenades are way outside my comfort bubble, so forgive me if its a silly question.
I'm guessing when thrown at least one of the brass "pellets" ends up striking the star when it lands or hits something and then goes bang............so do the pellets have much explosive in them or is it just a small amount to set off the main detonator?
Only reason I ask is you often see relic discus grenades for sale and I'd be surprised if all those brass pellets had been removed and inerted as they're likely corroded in place....
Dave.

Last edited: