What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

M14 apers

D

Dragontooth

Gents,

who's got info on the development and production?
Pictures with LOT number and markings would be great, since that helps to decipher which AAP did the LAP (explosive filling, etc. )

I am most interested in the hard to detect plastic version.

Thanks.
Dave

PS search gave 0 results...

pzgr40,

Love those pictures. Especially the cut away one. Do you own one of these?

SOG used the M14 mine in two ways. First, was to leave it alone and planted on the trail and waiting until someone walked on by.

The second wone would be called a "Truck stopper" . This would be a c-rations can about the size of the cookies and chocolate fudge. They then planted C-4 in that can . They then used C-4 to almost fill the C-ration can up 3/4 of the way. They then would place the M14 inside the can of C-4 and leaving the top of the mine where the "safety/armed portion would be. What happens next is when somebody were to step on the can they will be killed and/or possibly injured by the mine. This mine with the filled portion of C-4 was also would be considered a tracked Armor or a truck killer disabler

What happens here is that the M14 becomes the detonater for the C-4. Placing these mines in the the right position on the trail would knock the tire off of the truck complety and/or disable the truck by damaging the axel (axel could be completely sheared off too).

What a great mind in SOG to have figured this out.

V40

Last edited:
attachment.php

Outstanding, Jolly Green!
PPQ is Paladin Precision Products of Connecticut, USA, according to
http://www.docstoc.com/docs/13070195/MIL-HDBK-1461A
see page 262/463.

I believe that it is a reliable source. They only did the metal parts, right?
JG, or anybody else, does someone recall a pic here on BOCN of a mine or submunition with Chamberlain markings on, (not the Rook XM-53 ;-) ? Or maybe it wasn't Chamberlain but clearly a mfg. marking.

Many thanks,
Dave
PS one thing confuses me, though. LOP is Louisiana AAP, the year is 55.
However on the PP website, it says founded in 63...? Am i stupid?
http://palladin.com/AboutPalladin/tabid/82/Default.aspx

LOP is the Louisiana Ordnance Plant, which later had the name changed to Louisiana Army Ammunition Plant. It is now closed. They were the LAP (load, assemble, pack) facility. As for the PPQ, that would be the manufacturer of the plastic parts of the mine body since that is embossed in the plastic itself. I doubt that it is Palladin Precision Products. The 3 letter codes in the US are used by a contractor and when the company goes out of business or stops providing material to the government, that code is cancelled and often appears at a later date for a new company. I am not sure if that is what happened here, but the PPQ code does not show up in my versions of MIL STD 1461 dated 1975 or MIL STD 1461D from April 1980 or the predecessor APSAP 746-1 dated 1973. So Palladin did not exist or serve as a contactor during the timeframes I have codes for. I looked in both the active code sections and the obsolete code section and could not find it. My problem is I do not have code listing for as early as the production date. The production date is close to being one of the first production runs because I don't think the mine saw service until about 1955, but I am going by memory there not proven fact.

There is, I think a document called MIL-L-9835, dated 27th Sept., 1957, which may act as a predecessor to the above mentioned ammunition code compendia.
Any suggestions where to take it from here?
It's a tricky one. Anybody ever seen PPQ somewhere as a marking?

Here are a couple I have, the first is an M14 dummy, unfortunately its been painted several times and I haven't had the time to remove the paint. Being a crappy photographer I couldn't seem to get the markings to show up properly.

The second is a more interesting one, it is a T34 practice mine in very nice condition.

Attachments

• m14 and t34-1.jpg
    m14 and t34-1.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 69
  • m14 and t34.jpg
    m14 and t34.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 62
I will try and show the body of the mine along with the bottom tomorrow, unless not needed.

V40,
absolutely needed, especially if you can help to decipher who or what PPQ is...

Sgt Lynn, the pics are nice, but I need closeups with markings on them to trace it.

Thanks, Gents.

Dragontoth,

Sir, unfortutnally I cannot take any good shots at this time. But the bottom the markings are the same as John has. Also, except mine has the Lot Year is almost gone. My apologies.

Mark
V40

ok, got some better photos for you

Attachments

• m14dummy.jpg
    m14dummy.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 50
  • t34.jpg
    t34.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 49
You guys are really kind to bear with me.
Sgt Lynn, the markings on the new pics you posted are different, I cannot see PPQ anymore but rather something which looks like a pair of reading glasses.

Any time someone has ideas.
Thank you for your help. This is mysterious.

EODGUY, I have posted the two latest versions of AMMUNITION MANUFACTURERS AND THIER SYMBOLS Mil-Std-1461E (1990) and Mil-Hdbk-1461A (1999) posted for public access on my website at http://gigconceptsinc.com. I am looking for earlier versions of this document that can also be posted to provide an ammunition research resource that is readily available.

I would greatly appreciate a digital copy of the 1980 and 1975 copies of the MilStd and a copy of APSAP 746-1 if possible.

Does anyone else have earlier copies of this list?

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers

Lew

Dragoontooth,

The pair of spectacles you refer to on Sgtlynn's example appear to be conjoined lowercase letters q & p, which may well be a trademark of PPQ. I suggest a search of the US Patent & Trademark Office database http://www.uspto.gov/

Regards

TimG

Sgt Lynn,

thank you, I have treid the USPTO but to no avail...I am somewhat stumped here.

Does the PPQ respond to the initials in the manufacturer's name? I.E. will those initials be found in the name, because if they are one could focus on ordnance companies starting with the letter P.

Thank you for any assistance.

EODGUY, I have posted the two latest versions of AMMUNITION MANUFACTURERS AND THIER SYMBOLS Mil-Std-1461E (1990) and Mil-Hdbk-1461A (1999) posted for public access on my website at http://gigconceptsinc.com. I am looking for earlier versions of this document that can also be posted to provide an ammunition research resource that is readily available.

I would greatly appreciate a digital copy of the 1980 and 1975 copies of the MilStd and a copy of APSAP 746-1 if possible.

Does anyone else have earlier copies of this list?

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers

Lew

Yes and a 1950s version would be even better! ;-)

My example is marked LOP-SR-69 with 8-53 under it in yellow.

Greg

Attachments

• IMG_0838.JPG
    IMG_0838.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 26
Last edited: