What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

M16 apers

D

Dragontooth

Gentlemen,

sorry been very busy on campus...
Anyone have clues as to where to get info on production of the above mentioned mine? I'm talking site of production (which AAP in which years in which numbers.)

Maybe markings or a LOT number would help.
Dave

Mine are pretty rough, I got rid of most of my mine stuff some years ago over space issues, but here are a couple of images. I'm sure that are plenty of better ones out there. As you can see from the picture, mine is dated 1969.

Attachments

• DSC_0137.jpg
    DSC_0137.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC_0139.jpg
    DSC_0139.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 65
Thank you sir.

What does LOP PG etc etc mean?

That's some kind of info as to where it was packed right?

LOT and what follows is the Lot number. When it was made, where it was made, loaded, etc. Some Lot numbers are fairly obvious, some you practically need a code book to decipher.

OK, would you mind terribly helping me out with the LOT numbers or how to decipher them. Maybe a little guide would be great, like a summary of which LOT corresponds to which AAP and what to look for.

Sorry I am very new to this...
Danke! Thanks.
Dave

A couple of examples of variations and Lot number configurations.

Lt numbering changed in years past. The OD M-16 mine used the method from the 50's, with manufacturer and date. The Final assembly manufacturer in this case is designated by the 3 digit Alpha code LOP (Louisiana Army Ammunition Plant), which is standard in the U.S. for defense contractors to use. Each contractor is issued a 3-digit code to stamp or paint their Identification on the item. The blue M-16A1 uses the current Lot numbering method which incorporates the year into the number, in this case IOP is the manufacturer (Iowa Army Ammunition Plant) and 77K is the year and month of final assembly and loading, K being November as it is the 11th letter in the alphabet. The final digits in the LOt number comprise a particular lot that was manufactured that month.

The problem with your research as approached here, is that all you have to work with is the loading contractor and date. As you can see in the sectioned M-16 mine, there are many components that go into the mine. These are all manufactured by the lowest qualified bidder. These are then assembled into subassemblies, which come together at the final Assembly/loading plant where they leave complete with explosive contents, most likely minus the fuze.

Attachments

• M-16 mine variants.jpg
    M-16 mine variants.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
A couple of examples of variations and Lot number configurations.

Lt numbering changed in years past. The OD M-16 mine used the method from the 50's, with manufacturer and date. The Final assembly manufacturer in this case is designated by the 3 digit Alpha code LOP (Louisiana Army Ammunition Plant), which is standard in the U.S. for defense contractors to use. Each contractor is issued a 3-digit code to stamp or paint their Identification on the item. The blue M-16A1 uses the current Lot numbering method which incorporates the year into the number, in this case IOP is the manufacturer (Iowa Army Ammunition Plant) and 77K is the year and month of final assembly and loading, K being November as it is the 11th letter in the alphabet. The final digits in the LOt number comprise a particular lot that was manufactured that month.

The problem with your research as approached here, is that all you have to work with is the loading contractor and date. As you can see in the sectioned M-16 mine, there are many components that go into the mine. These are all manufactured by the lowest qualified bidder. These are then assembled into subassemblies, which come together at the final Assembly/loading plant where they leave complete with explosive contents, most likely minus the fuze.

> HAZORD, thanks so much for that. I really appreciate it. So the AAP part is substituted by OP, which would mean operating plant, I assume. MAybe I should modify my research approach...what I am mainly interested in is where and under which contractor the explosive loading was done and whether or not the explosives came from there and where the body came from.
Sorry again if I am sounding like a greenhorn here...
Now, how do I find out who ran the IOP and LOP in the times when the M-16 was produced? Google search is reliable?