What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

m1917 German practice egg grenade

This one came today in a trade deal. For the red m1917 practice German egg grenade there was only one in every crate of 50, which makes it 50 times rarer than the non practice egg, but still common. I really like this one..Dano

Attachments

• Picture 139.jpg
    Picture 139.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 32
bored holes

Hi Tmine35, on this one color is the only difference, but some practice eggs have holes bored in the body...Dano

Thanks Dano, I was missing the holes or something, this then must be a throwing practice - not loadable with a small charge? Anyway haven't ever had or seen one :sad:

the holy and the un-holy

Righto Tmine35, You are exactly right. In the photo below on the left is the red practice m1917 German egg sans the holes, on the right is the German m1917 egg grenade that has 4 holes bored at exact intervals, probably to emit a smoke charge for landing location purposes..Best...Dano

Attachments

• Picture 140.jpg
    Picture 140.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 25
better photo

Wanted to show a better close up to show the difference. On left is your basic m1917 German practice egg grenade. On right is the practice egg with 4 holes bored at equal spacing around the grenade. These holes allowed a smoke charge to be emitted for spotting where a thrown egg had landed. There was also a practice fuze (Idon't have one) that simulated pulling the igniter wire. One red practice egg grenade came in every case of 50 eggs...Dano

Attachments

• Picture 148.jpg
    Picture 148.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 27
Here are some eggs from me including a red practice grenade.
Indeed the egg grenade was introduced in summer of 1916 already.

Oh, and like some others here, I am still searching for a cap and porcellain ball for the fuse of the egg in the middle ;)

2iuvyi8.jpg

Last edited:
eggos

Those are some boss eggs Der Feldgraue, me likee. I think the m1917 German egg grenade is by far my favorite...Dano

Thanks Dano. I saw in some postings here, that your collection is very nice as well. I think it is difficult and quite expensive to get these items in the US.

Last edited:
Here a red practice egg showing only one hole

Cheers

engineer

Attachments

• 17nA b.jpg
    17nA b.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 15
Thanks Dano. Here are 3 more types, showing 4 respectively 3 holes.

Cheers

engineer

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 6
awesome

Way cool Engineer, The hole arrangement on the m1917 German practice eggs seems to be boundless....Dano

Attachments

• Picture 148.jpg
    Picture 148.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 4
Yes, indeed. By the way: never seen practice eggs with holes drilled in the upperpart before.

Cheers

engineer

Last edited:
Hmmmmmm

Well engineer, that brings up an interesting question. When I bought the holy egg eons ago I was told that they were de-mill holes. Have brought this up with other collectors and there seems to be about a 50/50 split on opinions, with half saying the holes are original, and half thinking they are some sort of de-mill holes. This is for me as well the first i've encountered with holes above the grip ring???? Yi dunno? One thing for sure, it is one of my favorite eggs............. Dano

Drilling holes in a grenade is the same as demilling it. And this practice eggs are factual demilled eggs. But the holes haven't been drilled in order to demill the grenades but to manufacture practice eggs. Everything clear as mud now?:tinysmile_shy_t:

Cheers

engineer

wad I tink

My opinion, for what it is worth is that the holes in my practice egg are original, and yes definately look bored 90+ years ago. I firmly think this to be true and if not, oh well I still love it. They are symetrical and well corroded and if it is a demill, it was done so many years ago. I found this egg at a show in the early 90's for 20.00us and still one of my prized pieces. When I die they will need a crowbar to pry it out of my hands after rigormortis has set in!!1 Dano