What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

m1917 Grenade

JustinF

Morning!

I happened across a m1917 today on SA and could'nt resist!

Does anyone have a cut-away diagram of the fuze/body?

Also what was the filling for these and the fuze delay?

Best Regards

Justin

Who made it?

Hi Justin, Will need to know an m1917 what? What country etc... Picture would help, but rest assured an m1917 grenade from WW1 of any type is ultra cool....Dano

m1917 German egg grenade

Hi Justin. Aah, my favorite grenade. Here's a diagram, a pic of mine in my collection, and the line up of usual igniters. Grenade was loaded with black powder, barium nitrate or aluminum nitrate. 5 or 7 sec delay..Dano

Attachments

• Picture 208.jpg
    Picture 208.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 31
  • Picture 012.jpg
    Picture 012.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 53
  • Picture 031.jpg
    Picture 031.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
etc...

Hi again Justin, Just looked at the one you bought on SA. NICE grenade. that has the m1915 zinc-alloy igniter, correction either had 8 or 5 second delay which was denoted by a red band originally around body of igniter. there was also one other igniter that is not shown in the line up of five I showed. It was 0 sec delay booby trap igniter left behind by retreating German troops so when the enemy pulled the loop - blamo!!! Dano (P.S. the guy you bought off of has great prices but rats he won't ship to US). Show us some pics when you get it....

Booby trap

Yes Miguel, That one was left behind by retreating Germans in egg and kugel grenades as booby traps, so when igniter wire was pulled it went off immediately. I have seen other reference as to this one being a fake, which I believe not to be true. I have seen it also related to the minenwerfer and even a reference to it being used in the American Civil War. Though not sure of latter uses, I am sure it was used as a booby trap igniter by German forces. I definately welcome anything you may want to add or possibly subtract as I am as interested in the absolute truth as the next Joe. I know you are a very knowledgable man on German grenades and would really appreciate hearing anything you may have to say. With respect...Dano (by the way Miguel, my absolute favorite m1917 German egg was purchased from you, which is the one on the right hand side of my avatar)

Last edited:
Wow, you made me get red :tinysmile_shy_t:. Thank you for your words... they are true... Hahaha. This trap fuze is totally real and original, not a fake and was an Artillery igniter fuze for canons as delay was 0 seconds. I dont remember where I got that info, if anybody know more or believe that Im wrong, please post a message. If not, keep you in silence for ever.....

Hi again Justin, Just looked at the one you bought on SA. NICE grenade. that has the m1915 zinc-alloy igniter, correction either had 8 or 5 second delay which was denoted by a red band originally around body of igniter. there was also one other igniter that is not shown in the line up of five I showed. It was 0 sec delay booby trap igniter left behind by retreating German troops so when the enemy pulled the loop - blamo!!! Dano (P.S. the guy you bought off of has great prices but rats he won't ship to US). Show us some pics when you get it....

Thanks for the info Dano!

real or memorex

There is a write-up on this igniter on EJ's ordnance site. I think some of the information incorrect but I pull no punches and am always opn to suggestion...Dano

m1917 stamped metal igniter

The 1917 egg pictured here has the rare m1917 stamped metal friction igniter. The pottery ball was attached to the igniter body either with a string (I replaced the string of course) as pictured or a piece of chain. I like so many others am looking for the tin cap that screws over the top. The irony here is that mine hac a perfect tin cap which I chiseled off to see if internal parts were still there, which they were. I am still kicking myself in butt for ruining the tin cap (rare because burial rusted the better part of then away) because there was one available when I did the deed, but when went to order it it was already sold!!! Boo Hoo. So if anyone has a spare tin cap for this igniter PM me and i'll make it worth your while..Best..Dano (the tin cap I had can be seen in previous post in this thread before I destroyed it, should get 40 lashes for doing it) MIGUEL EJ's site is

http://inert-ord.net
from there click on Imperial German flag, then click on egg grenades, then go to bottom of page and click on blue dot
it will then ask for user name which is open and then password which is 1945

Attachments

• Picture 209.jpg
    Picture 209.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Oh, yes. Then my info comes from here. I know the site from many years ago, but reading EJ my brain was not in the count. As you can see Im looking for two caps for my Chained and Corded versions.

Attachments

• M17 Egg Caps.jpg
    M17 Egg Caps.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 17
Boobies

Yes Miguel, I had to go back and read the write-up on EJ's site, and it seems to be mostly correct. Inetersting that he notes was used on light 76mm Minenwerfer and also saw American Civil War use 1861-1865, which seems weird. He also affirms that it was DEFINATELY at booby trap igniter, but he says was only in kugels with no mention of the egg grenade. Ever notice how this igniter will fit some eggs and some it will not. You could take 2 m1917 egg grenades and screw an m1915 zinc-alloy igniter in and it will fit both grenades, whereas the booby trap igniter may only screw into one of them. Now what's up with that???Dano

More booby trap

Hee is a better picture of what i'll refer to as the booby trap igniter. i have it called a Bass fuze before but not sure if that is correct nomenclature, so i'll stick with booby trap igniter...Dano

Attachments

• Picture 211.jpg
    Picture 211.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 11
Wow, you made me get red :tinysmile_shy_t:. Thank you for your words... they are true... Hahaha. This trap fuze is totally real and original, not a fake and was an Artillery igniter fuze for canons as delay was 0 seconds. I dont remember where I got that info, if anybody know more or believe that Im wrong, please post a message. If not, keep you in silence for ever.....
It is for sure an Artillery igniter fuse for canons but I didnt heard that germans was useing it in eggs as booby trap igniter but I cant say that it was no possible.

Hi, Great thread. I have always seen it referred to as an artillery igniter, so am very interested in seeing fitted to a grenade. If it was available in WW1, and fitted the grenade, I suspect it would have been used. Cheers

Attachments

• fuzes.jpg
    fuzes.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 21
Fresh out of the hallowed ground

Hi Colin, can't remember the web page but saw an m1917 German Egg Grenade freshly coming out of the ground with this instant igniter on it. It was one of those French diggers sites and was found in the area of the somme. wish I could think of page, but in my eyes this was proof positive. there is some shroud of mystery around this controversial little jewell. I saw it but can't (not just right now) prove it...Dano P.S. by the way colin, what is that piece under the igniter on your image?