What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

M24 wood finish

Infanteer

How were the wood handles on newly manufactured M24 grenades finished? Were they left plain, treated with oil, varnish or did it depend on the manufacturer? I recently picked up an excellent handle made by brb in 1942 and it is completely bare wood. I'm wondering if the finish is missing due to age/storage conditions or if this is correct for this manufacturer. I also have a minty handle for a smoke grenade and it clearly has been treated with something that has left a subtle sheen. Any ideas?

I've had many M24's over the years & they would all appear to be natural wood . This isn't to say they were treated with some sort of preservative that's not immediately apparent . I've also had WW1 examples that had clearly been lacquered at some stage . Perhaps Jeensey could answer this as he has a fine collection of original grenades & may shed some light on this question.

I've had many M24's over the years & they would all appear to be natural wood . This isn't to say they were treated with some sort of preservative that's not immediately apparent . I've also had WW1 examples that had clearly been lacquered at some stage . Perhaps Jeensey could answer this as he has a fine collection of original grenades & may shed some light on this question.

Hi... oohhh....ahhhh... eeeee,,,,, now thats the million dollar question,,, ????

I do have a few stick grens, and in all conditions from minty to just plain old rust n woodworm ( love these ones as they tell a whole different story ) some with a finish some without,, same for ww1 I have a real mint M1916 handle and this would appear to have a sealer on it of some sorts. same with M24 but most i have seen in piccs are just plain finish, i have original piccs and will dig therm out and post them for reference.

BestRegards Nick

Hi Mike..

I'll make some nice piccs , also will try and make a montage of WW1 stick grens from 1915 models up to M1917/17 models ( like in the Patrice Delhome book but photos instead of sketches )
hopefully tomorow it time permits.

Thanks , Nick . I'm sure we would all appreciate that . Mike.

That would be great! I am eager to see some examples to compare with the couple of sticks that I have. Stick grenades just are not very common amongst my collector friends so I've only seen a limited number of original examples over the years.