What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

M61 anti-personel piquet mine, France

pzgr40

Premium Member
Cutaway model of a French M-61 picket mine. With this anti-personnel mine the body as well as the fuze is plastic made and contains no metal parts. A steel ring can be placed between the fuze and the mine body to enable the mine to be found with a metal detector.
The fuze used is the NM SAE 59 friction igniter. The pressure piston inside the fuze has a tapered lower side, which rests in a tapered hole. Between the two tapered surfaces a layer of match composition is placed. If one steps on the pressure piston and pushes tapered surfaces in one another, the match composition ignites, passing a flame into the detonator (Grey bushing with pink filler), igniting the main charge of the mine. The main charge of the mine consists of one ring and two cilinders of TNT
The stick is used to Anchor the mine into the ground to avoid it from floating away with floods.

There is also the M-63 type mine that looks exactly the same as the M-61, however has an anti-tampering device. If a person tries to remove the mine by pulling it out of the ground a friction igniter between the lower part of the mine body and the piquet will detonate the mine.

Diameter : 35 mm (mine body)
Length : 273mm total, mine body 123mm
Weight : 125 grams
Weight explosive charge : 57 grams of TNT
Operation pressure : 15 kg

Regards, DJH

Attachments

• 01 - M-61 AP mine with protective cap.jpg
    01 - M-61 AP mine with protective cap.jpg
    551.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 02 - M-61 AP mine without protective cap.jpg
    02 - M-61 AP mine without protective cap.jpg