What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

M67

US-Subs

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
Ordnance approved
Premium Member
Some friends were kind enough to let me visit recently, while there I saw my first example of the M67 with the new safety clip (I'm sure this is not the correct terminology, but you get the drift). Here are a couple of photos.

.DSC_0985.jpgDSC_0985a.jpg

I believe they officially call it a "Confidence Clip" now. I'll have to track down the actual message that was sent out last year.

Brand new, current is what I've been told. Confidence clip sounds like what I was told Mike.

Basically, young troops in Iraq and A-stan got the idea in their heads that they needed to tape the safety lever on their grenades before going on patrol in case the safety pin fell out and the jungle clip fell off. Because of this tape, when they came back from patrol and removed the tape the markings on the grenade would peel off and make the grenade unserviceable. Instead of doing the smart thing and tell leaders to beat the crap out of their soldiers until they stopped doing this, the spent tons of money to relocate the markings on the grenade and added a 3rd, yes 3rd safety to the grenade in the hopes that the young troops who can't be bothered to listed to directives won't tape their grenades.

But if they continue adding safetys to the grenade soon the soldier will have to ask time to the enemy for remove all of them before throwing.

But if they continue adding safetys to the grenade soon the soldier will have to ask time to the enemy for remove all of them before throwing.

coming soon...............................

Attachments

• P1030127.jpg
    P1030127.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 144
You would think that they would learn from the past but I guess not.

You guess right, human race never learn from the past, it has no memory or doesnt care about. Or both things. And I dont know what will be more expensive, if restencil the few grenades with paint missing or make a new pece for all of them.

Let us see, how many steps did it take to throw that Mk I? OOOh, and if you missed one, the Hun will throw it back the RIGHT way?! HEY! They just re-invented the Mk I Fuze!! With one more step!! The "Jungle clip" brought it up to the Mk I level if I count my actions right. Brought to you from the society that has child proofed everything!! Rant done. Cheers, Bruce.

p.s. OMG, Spotter!! I've seen that grenade in testing!! Frag distance is nil, but it causes lots of people vexation and then they pull out their "Time Out" card, effectively removing squads of troops for periods of time!!

Last edited:
I started to see the "Confidence Clip" years ago, around the mid to late 1990's. They were used on (Combined Tactical Systems or CTS) CTS's 7290 I believe. These were mounted just like they are with the "Confidence Clip" holding the ring from above, just like the new M67 Hand Grenade. Back then when I became an Instructor on Less-than-lethal items, I first did not like the extra safety. However, after a couple of accidents with guys using "Def-Tech's No. 25's (use to be my favorite flash-bang back then) in a semi-closed structure, I became a quick believer in the "Confidence Clip". Not sure if Def-Tech's No.25 have gone that direction also?

Now, with the two safety devices on an M67, it will be interesting to see how many Airmen, Marines, soldiers, or SpecOps (Not so much these units) units will forget to release the spoon safety clip before they throw under stress or even forget too how to get the pull ring out of the safety?

Last edited:
Hello:
I just found this lovely AF MKIIAI yellow-green with untouched safety pin from the factory. Look what soldiers had to remove for throw the grenade, no three clips. Also this grenade is very interesting, (of course an early yellow AF turned on OD), because it is shorter than a standard grenade. Somebody cutted too much, I think.

Attachments

• AF Short 1.jpg
    AF Short 1.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 55
  • AF Short 2.jpg
    AF Short 2.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 43
  • AF Short 3.jpg
    AF Short 3.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 45
  • AF Short 4.jpg
    AF Short 4.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 44
  • AF Short 5.jpg
    AF Short 5.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 42
  • AF Short 6.jpg
    AF Short 6.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 41
  • AF Short 7.jpg
    AF Short 7.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 46
In certain circumstances, even a single pull pin can prove to be excessively safe. All down to training - or lack of... Consider the following by Eugene Sledge, 1 US Marine Div.., Okinawa, 1945 (from his book "With the Old Breed - at Peleliu and Okinawa", ISBN 0-19-506714-2):

"... On the right we began to hear American grenades exploding well within our lines... ...Then the word came along in the dark to be sure all new replacements knew exactly how to use grenades properly. One of our new men had been discovered removing each grenade canister from a box of grenades, pulling the sealing tape from the canister, and then throwing the unopened canister at the enemy. The Japanese opened each canister, took out the grenade, pulled the pin, and threw the deadly "pineapple" back at us. The veterans around me were amazed to find out what had happened. The incident, however, was just one of many examples of the poor state of combat readiness of the latest group of new replacements."

Tom.

There was some difference in their use during the Korean War whereby the Chinese fancied themselves as accurate grenade throwers, ya right. S.L.A. Marshal in his primer to the Korean War was favoritable in his writings on the Mk.II's considering the climate. Most soilders still relied on their M1 Garands to get things done. I will have to go back and re-read that primer inorder to get a full understanding of the grenades used by both sides. Anybody else ever read it or his work in general?

Hi, I understand that these additional confidence clips were going to be added to all issued M67 and M69s. Did this ever happen? Cheers

There was some difference in their use during the Korean War whereby the Chinese fancied themselves as accurate grenade throwers, ya right. S.L.A. Marshal in his primer to the Korean War was favoritable in his writings on the Mk.II's considering the climate. Most soilders still relied on their M1 Garands to get things done. I will have to go back and re-read that primer inorder to get a full understanding of the grenades used by both sides. Anybody else ever read it or his work in general?

I no the Koreans made a copy of the U.S. Mk 2s,the one I have seen had a fuse that kind of looked like ours but obviously not U.S. made the body seemed bigger like they used ours to make the mold.
Vinny