What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

M724 and M724A1 105-MM Cartridges and projectiles

jvollenberg

Ordnance approved
M724 and M724A1 105-MM Cartridges and projectiles

Does anyone have one of these they can take some pitures of? I need good pictures of them in and out of the cartridge case as well as with and without the flutes for pictures of the projectile.

Also can anyone tell me the length of the projectile?

Joe

Joe,

When you say flutes, are you talking about the petals that break off of the pot once it leaves the barrel? They are part of the pot body before firing.

I have some examples of complete projos and fired and unfired components, and an inert loaded M724A1 round.

Last edited:
Joe,

Here are some pictures of my 105mm M724A1 projectile.

More pictures are possible if you want (specify).

All data and dimentions can be found in TM43-0001-28

Geert.

Attachments

• 100_3784.jpg
    100_3784.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 30
  • 100_3785.jpg
    100_3785.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 100_3006.jpg
    100_3006.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 100_3786.jpg
    100_3786.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Photo 1 M724A1 TPDS-T round to the right of the M392A1 APDS-T.
Photo 2 closeups of the same.
Photo 3 differences in construction between the old design and the A1 version. The older design has 3 radial pins that retain the subprojectile in the pot, by engaging a groove in the tracer of the subprojectile. The pins will retain the projectile during the initial high pressure of firing, until the centrifugal forces cause them to retract, releasing the subprojectile. The newer design incorporates a mushroom shaped hollow chamber insert that is press-fit into the screw-in base, to cover the tracer area of the subprojectile. This hollow mushroom shape has a small hole to allow some hot combustion gasses to enter to ignite the tracer and to act as a pressure chamber to eject the sub-projectile, once the petals break off when the pot leaves the muzzle.The only difference in subprojectile seems to be the screw-in tracer as can be seen in photos 4 and 5. The bodies are exactly the same in length, taper, etc. Photos 6 and 7 show the differences in the carrier screw-in base, older design with pins and newer design without. The threads are left-hand. The pot consists of a pipe shape with the petals on the front, which this base piece screws into, holding the subprojectile tight against the insides of the petals. Photo 8 show both designs, the M724A1 shown with the mushroom in place in the middle and missing the mushroom on the right. Photo 10 shows 2 724A1 projos with and without mushroom.

Measurements Projo length rubber skirt to tip 267mm. The mushroom protrudes approx 17mm from the base. When the projo is resting on the mushroom, the rubber skirt is raised up approximately 10mm.

It is evident from the compatability of the components, that the improved version was designed to use as many of the older components as possible, eliminating the radial pins, but adding the mushroom chamber.

Attachments

• Rounds.jpg
    Rounds.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 34
  • Rounds close-up.jpg
    Rounds close-up.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 31
  • Old and new designs.jpg
    Old and new designs.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 25
  • sub-projos.jpg
    sub-projos.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 29
  • Tracer details.jpg
    Tracer details.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 27
  • Base details.jpg
    Base details.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 21
  • Base Iso.jpg
    Base Iso.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 23
  • bases w skirts.jpg
    bases w skirts.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 25
  • w & o Mushroom.jpg
    w & o Mushroom.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 19
  • Projos.jpg
    Projos.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Joe,

I neglected to mention that the pot body of all the A1 projectiles I've seen is labeled M737. It is evidently the part number for the body itself, before it is assembled into a complete projectile. It can be misleading to anyone who finds the fired bodies or unfired projos, as the ormal lettering is very faint for the normal projo ID.