What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

M73 35mm Subcaliber LAW Practice Rocket

pzjgr

Another Syracuse pickup....found an M73 35mm Subcaliber LAW practice rocket....It appears someone painted over the nomenclature, so I will see if I can get the paint off and leave the stampings....

Attachments

• DSC03584.jpg
    DSC03584.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC03585.jpg
    DSC03585.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC03600.jpg
    DSC03600.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC03601.JPG
    DSC03601.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 23
I believe such rockets - and a dedicated LAW to fire them - were featured on the television show "American Guns" form last season. The store owner on that series purchased the launcher and rockets from a collector, as well as a sub-calibered 57mm recoilless rifle. If you are unable to locate the episode on YouTube under American Guns - full episodes, let me know.

pzjgr, the rocket in question is called, at least back in 1975, a M73.

- Rocket is 35mm caliber
- It consists of the rocket, and igniter assembly, detonating head, motor closure, and igniter assembly.
- the detonating head is plastic, and it uses a 1.5 grams of an M80 composition.
- The rocket contains a a base detonating fuse and a M26 stab primer. It detonates by having the firing pin held back in the base and upon contact the pin is pushed forward striking the M26.
- The steel motor casing contains three tubular grains of M7 propellant.
- The rocket also should be stabilized by six molded plastic fins.

Also one other item, I keep hearing them being sold down at Knob Creek.

Last edited: