What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

M79 76mm -vs- 3 inch.

DEADLINE222

Looking at TM 9-1901, and have an AP projectile in need of restoring.

Assuming there is anything noticeable, is there any way to determine the difference between the AP M-79 76mm and AP M-79 3 inch projectile?

Also, what would the stenciling look like on M-79 3 inch?

On the 3 inch, the image is not clear in the TM. However I can make out the 76mm image.

Last edited:
Not in front of my books or the rounds right now, but if I recall, the 3-inch has a pretty wide rotating band when compared to the others.

Projectiles for the 3 inch Army (M-10 Tank Destroyer) and WWII 76mm (Super Sherman) were the same projectiles. The only difference was the lettering on the projectile. Early WWII 3 inch antiaircraft projectiles had smaller rotating bands (MK 1 HE and Shrapnel projos). Early in the war, they changed the pitch of the rifling in the barrels and went to the larger rotating band that is found on the M79 AP, the M42 HE and M62 AP-Capped. The older thin rotating band projos were not fired in the new guns.

3 inch projo most likely labeled 3G on the first line, and SHOT-T M79 on the second line. White lettering on Black projectile, 1/2 inch letters.

Last edited:
Awesome.

My projectile has a 1.02" rotating band, which was missing and I have since then replaced.

Would there be any mention of a tracer?

P1010007.JPGP1010008.JPGP1010005.jpgP1010006.JPGP1010012.JPGP1010011.JPGP1010009.JPG

Hello deadline222,

Here is how my 3-inch M79 is inscribed on its rotating band: LOT 87 - 23137 - 4 1943 DC 3 IN M79
The drawing is from TM 9-1904.

Best regards,

Randall

Very nice Shelldude!

My stab at restoring the rotating band is incorrect after seeing the real deal.

May I ask how far the rotating band protrudes from the body of the projectile?

In addition to that, what is the diameter and depth of the two grooves in the rotating band?

And for anyone who may know, as silly as it may be; do the grooves found in all roataing bands have a name?

Anyone know what the "MC" on the bottom stand for? I am curious.

Also, do you mind if I use those pictures for the EOD publication upgrade?

Joe

Hello deadline222 & Joe,

The diameter of the rotating band is: 78.91mm

The diameter of the projectile immediately above the top of the rotating band is: 75.72mm

The width of the two inscribed grooves is: 2mm

The depth of the grooves is: 1.5mm

Joe, no problem at all regarding the photographs. I'm thinking the MC may be some past collectors way of identifying their ordnance.

Best regards,

Randall