What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

M84 Series 105-MM Leaflette

jvollenberg

Ordnance approved
Does anyone have pictures or have any of the 105-MM M84 series leaflette projectiles they can send / take pictures of?

We are working on updating this publication and are looking for images and pictures of these.

Thanks,

Joe

Yeah Joe, I have a couple of variations. Will shoot some pics when I get home this evening.

Two variations of Leaflet or Propoganda projos both dated 1943. These are the M84 base ejection style most often used to deliver smoke canisters. During the first Gulf War, 155mm Binary Nerve Gas Projos no longer needed per their original function were used for the same purpose.

Using a mechanical time fuze, the leaflets are ejected over the target. There are only about 1/8 inch of threads on the baseplate that are holding the baseplate in the projectile. These threads are sheared upon fuze function.

Typical for most U.S. projectiles ranging from 105mm through 240mm from the past 60 years, the projectile ID and manufacturing info is stamped into the metal above the rotating band.

Attachments

• 105mm M84 Leaflet variations.jpg
    105mm M84 Leaflet variations.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 64
  • Lettered with base plate.jpg
    Lettered with base plate.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 47
  • Lettering.jpg
    Lettering.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 51
  • Baseplate spanner holes.jpg
    Baseplate spanner holes.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 43
  • Baseplate unscrewed.jpg
    Baseplate unscrewed.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 50
  • Threaded Base.jpg
    Threaded Base.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 37
  • Fuzewell.jpg
    Fuzewell.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 42
  • stamping on labeled.jpg
    stamping on labeled.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 43
  • stamping 2 on labeled.jpg
    stamping 2 on labeled.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 40
  • Stamping on P.jpg
    Stamping on P.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 37
  • stamping 2 on P.jpg
    stamping 2 on P.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 32
During the first Gulf War, 155mm Binary Nerve Gas Projos no longer needed per their original function were used for the same purpose.

Reportedly only a few hundred of these rounds (155mm M687 bodies) were loaded, and were subsequently designated XM951. It is stated that about 100 rounds were found during retrograde operations at the end of the war. Sources state that they were unmarked, carried the C27, C72 and C73 leaflets and were unmarked externally. It is further stated in source materials that as the rounds were non-standard and did not go through normal production, there were no firing tables and they could not be fired accurately.

Other sources indicate that rounds were marked externally with a large black P (psyops).

Interesting ... does anyone have any of the leaflets that were in these? I would be interested in seeing some of them ...

And thanks for the pictures.

Joe

As far as the 155 rounds go, I saw one in a civilian museum about 20 years ago, in Connecticut, that had an M number stenciled on the outside. It was OD overall. It did not have the P stenciled on the outside. I believe I have a 35mm photo of it. Will need to check on it.

My source was a report done by a former AF guy that was involved in the program, following the war he wrote an excellent report as a draft to see if it would sell as a book. He gave the original draft to me, with photos glued in showing the leaflet packs, projo data, BLU-82s etc. The book eventually evolved into "Seeds of Victory: Psychological Warfare and Propaganda" an extensive catalog of both sides leaflets etc. from the Gulf War. The book is still around and can be ordered through Amazon and others.

I've only got a couple of the leaflets, there were well over a hundred different designs.

Attachments

• 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 1b.jpg
    1b.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 30
  • Untitled-2a.jpg
    Untitled-2a.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 26
  • Untitled-2b.jpg
    Untitled-2b.jpg