What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Meaning of "I" on late 8,8 cm Kriegsmarine case

H

Hoeksel

Recently I aquired 2 late 8,8 cm Flak18 cases (1939 and 1940) for the Kriegsmarine, both with a stamped "I". Does anybody know what this "I"could mean?

Attachments

• P131 C30 I 1940.jpg
    P131 C30 I 1940.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 74
Could it have something to do with reload? Next to "I" there is a dot which is clearly a marking of reload ( at least if the case has been in use in Finland ). However "I" is not a Finnish reload marking.

Maybe but never seen on other cases. These are found in The Netherlands as ornaments.

I checked my 1939 case and it also has the "dot" although not near the "I". So might be related afterall. Let's see if I can find the meaning of I in any of my German ordnance documents.

also german WW1 Kriegsmarine cases have that "I" next to the reloading dots like this one:

II_dots.jpg

Last edited:
A collector friend of mine mentioned it might have to do with the charge, III being full charge and I being the lowest charge. Indeed many WW2 cases have a ink stamp like III on the case. For reloaded WW1 cases the Roman numbers are also standard, I have seen II or III on basically every type of case. That would make sense.

For the charge i've seen ink stamps, or special markings like TRIP etc, so my guess is I is the first reload, II the second etc.

Kees