What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Metal detecting finds identification help!

Hi, was out with the E-Trac on holiday in Norfolk(Hemsby) And was metal detecting some grass hills, which used to be sand dunes. The area was very active during WW2 as there are bunkers all over the place, anyway. These hills have definitely seen allot of military action as i came across small groups of 303 blanks, lots of pieces of shrapnel and a few pieces that i think are shrapnel but don't know what of. Here are some pics:

http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/1033455/1/Norfolk finds?h=7e5027

The largest items of the lot are the rusty looking ones, they measure around 2.5ins and have a rubber washer running round them and a mesh on the under side, i found them at about 6 ins down and within about 5 meters of each other. the ones that have the dial looking thing on the top measure around 1 and a bit ins and show signs of extreme force( one looks as though it has been crushed). the group of 3 items are fairly small and the biggest one measures no more than a 1in.
I hope i have provided enough information for you to identify them, if you want any specific pics let me know.

Regards,
Will

image 1364

Image 1364 looks like blown off fuze heads. See Below:
John

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for replying, i see what you mean about the fuse heads, its a shame that non of the items have writing on them as im sure that would help you identify them quicker. Like i said in my first post, i there is any specific pics that you would like me to take of the items that might help just say and i will do it as soon as i can.

Last edited:
Clean up frags;

Goodluck
Using a pencil eraser, clean up the face of what I think is a fuze head, examine the reverse side to see if you can locate where the fuze body broke off.
Clean up your frangs, look for tapered or threaded fuze hole remains. Re-shoot the cleaned up brass item and post here as a hi-res jpeg
I am not certain when England stopped using the Woolwich System of rifling, i.e., copper studs, but check for a remaiing copper stud or round 3/8" deep flat bottom holes where studs may have been. Do the roughly assembled frags form a spherical or conical shape.
If that is a No. 3 DA fuze head then it was only used in rifled projos.
Keep digging perhaps you will find an intact brass fuze.
Regards,
John

Fuze Head?

Goodluck,
Hope you don't mind but I took the liberty of enhancing the item in question. I am still not certain it is a fuze head.
what is its diamter?

Regrds,
John

Am cleaning the two items with a rubber as we speak, it measures just over a inch. As far as the other objects are concerned, do you have any idea what they are? Would you like me to do any thing to them as well(brasso)?
Regards,
Will

If they are onoly one inch in diamter then they are not fuze heads as I suspected. with regard to the frags I made some comments above on a few things you can do to determeine if they are even ordnance frags.
The photos are realy too drk to tell much about them. Frag analysis is an art unto itsself.
John

Gave the two items a clean with a rubber and a small wire brush, and some holes appeared, on one the 2nd hole is still covered. What i did notice though was that while cleaning the side in the groves there was a bit of corroded metal coming out just like the larger two, so i was wondering if they are from the same object? Also the grey coloured dial in the center is almost like a plug in a ring as i found a peice of that ring which is included in one of the photos.
(updating photos now)
Will

Your parts look a bit like the top portion of a No 24 WW1 British rifle grenade, maybe a Mk 2 ? the top part is a threaded brass ring with two opposing holes in it, and the grey item maybe a cast metal closing plug. Tony.

Ooo, now I think you might of cracked it because near by I found 2 303 blanks, possibly grenade firing rounds? So that would all fit in. Any ideas on the other items?

Will