What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MIFF (DM-1239) EFP mine for MW-1 dispenser

pzgr40

Premium Member
Cutaway model of a MIFF (DM-1239) dispenser mine. MIFF means Mine Flach-Flach (Mine Surface-Surface.
MIFF was one of the six types of antimaterial/antipersonnel fragmentation minelet and bomblets types of submunition used in the German MW-1 (MehrzweckWaffe -1 /Multi role Weapon -1) dispenser, the German version of the Brittish JP-233 which only uses two different types of submunitions.
The primary function of the MW-1 weapon system was to deny area’s, channel or stop troop/vehicle movement, destroy armoured vehicles and cripple airfields. Therefore there were six configurations of MW-1’s, each with it’s own type of submunition.
The MW-1 was designed to be used under different planes like the Panavia Tornado, the F-104G Starfighter and the F16. Eventually it was used under the Panavia Tornado MRCA only.
With Germany signing the Ottawa threaty, the MW-1 dispenser system was Phased out.

The MW-1 dispenser used the following submunitions:

-The 1lb (0,54kg) KB44; KleinBombe / Small bomb 44; a small shaped charge bomblet, designed to pierce the tops of tank turrets and destroy by sheer numbers. A MW-1 can dispense 4,704 pcs.
-The 7.5lb (3,4kg) MIFF (Mine Flach-Flach / Mine Surface-Surface) anti-tank mine. A MW-1 can dispense 872 pcs.
-The 9.25lb (4,5kg) MUSA (MUlti Splitter Aktiv / Multi Fragments Activ) bomblet. A MW-1 can dispense 672 pcs.
-The 9.25lb (4,5kg) MUSPA (MUlti Splitter Passiv Aktiv / Multi Fragments Passive Activ); similar to MUSA but with a time-delayed fuse and a microphone activated fuze. A MW-1 can dispense 672 pcs.
-The 37.5lb (17kg) STABO (STArtbahn BOmbe) anti-runway bomblet. A MW-1 can dispense 224 pcs.
-The 37.5 (17kg) A-SW which has a small rocket booster and is designed to penetrate hardened aircraft shelters and bunkers. A MW-1 can dispense 224 pcs.

The MIFF is an air delivered anti tank mine. It is delivered by the MW-1 weapon system.
The mine is of the Miznay-Shardin type, using so called EFP (Explosively Formed Penetratotors) also called SFF (Self Forming Fragment) to defeat an armoured target. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Explosively_formed_penetrator

The mine is build-up of the following parts:
In the center of the two piece mine body the safety and arming unit, the electronics and the metal detector spool are placed in a white plastic housing, seperating it from the explosive charges. Two red copper shallow cones are placed in a mirrored position on both sides of the mine body. The explosive charge of 1010 grams is placed between the conical discs.
Both the top an bottom side of the mine are closed with a sheet aluminium disc. The space between the aluminium disc and the red copper cone is normally filled with pur foam (I removed it to beter show the cones). This enshures the cones are not damaged during impact and allows the EFP’s to form undisturbed.
Upon landing , the three plasic rings surrounding the mine (visable in drawing, missing in cutaway model) break away, releasing the erecting springs that place the mine with one of both red copper cones facing upward.
If a tank drives over the mine, the metal detector (10) will sense a big metal mass and ignite the electric detonator (4), detonating the mine, punching a hole through the bottom of the tank, killing the crew by spalling of steel fragments, either setting off the ammunition.
If a tank’s track runs directly over the mine, it will do hardly any damage.

It must be noted that nearly all parts of the mine are made of non magnetic metals: the mine body is of stainelss steel, the cones red copper , the covers aluminium, the fuze parts of plastic, zamac, bakelite and pur foam. This is most probably done to prevent the mine from picking up false magnetic signals.

The fuze (see drawing) is build up of a rotor safety system, that rotates an off line electric detonator (4) in a rotor against a booster (5) in the center of the fuze housing. A mechanical safety withdrawal pin (12) keeps the rotor fixated out of line as long as the mine is still in the launching tube of the MW-1 dispenser. The electric connector plug (11) is used to give the mine the fuze activation signal upon launching from the dispenser. The connector plug is ripped off upon launch. The Safety and arming unit is activated upon impact by the impact sensor (8). The battery (9) takes over, powering the firing circuit over the metal detector spool (10), with a second parallel circuit powering the firing circuit over the self destruct delay mechanism (timer).

I have no info about the self destruct time of the MIFF mine.

Diameter of the mine: 132mm
Height of the mine: 98mm

Regards, DJH

Attachments

• 01 - MIFF (Mine Flach-Flach) cutaway model.JPG
    01 - MIFF (Mine Flach-Flach) cutaway model.JPG
    257 KB · Views: 40
  • 02 - MIFF (Mine Flach-Flach) backside cutaway model.JPG
    02 - MIFF (Mine Flach-Flach) backside cutaway model.JPG
    157.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 03 - MIFF anti tank mine drawing.jpg
    03 - MIFF anti tank mine drawing.jpg