What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Military Radio

Spaceinvader

Hello!
I have a question about military radios today! I thought of a small project I could do in my spare time, if I got a broken military radio, would it be able to pick up civilian stations? (if this is a dumb question, woops! :) ) I know infantry radios wouldnt, and some vehicle radios wont either. Is there specific radios that would? It would be an interesting thing to fix up, and a nice piece to put in the garage, basement ect. Any info welcome, thanks in advance,
Rhys

It's not the most common radio, but 30 years ago, we could hear civilian radios on a AN-GRC 9 !

Yoda

What type of radio do you have? Some military radio receivers can pick up a good selection of channels. A BC312 of WW2 vintage can pick up world wide as it short wave.

Clansman 353 can pick up some amature bands and can be easily modified to go below and above its limits to pick up more. Or by civilian stations, do you mean BBC2 etc. In which case just get a broken one that you like the look of for pence, rip the gubbins out and put a civy one in its place. Easy.

Edit: Or was this a trick post "if I got a broken military radio, would it be able to pick up civilian stations?" Errrr no it wont, it's broken LOL

I mean a BC312 radio receiver the type the US Army used in the SCR 299 399 and 499 radio stations. The same model used in B17s flying fortress but called the BC342. Don't butcher these old radios what ever they are as these old valve radio's can easily be fixed. Most people rip the guts out and put a cheap old tape player inside and remove the generator that hums quietly in the back ground giving that unique sound of how they sounded 70 years ago.

I dont yet have a radio, just thinking of it. And im with you BMG50, I would rather not rip out the internals of one, even if its new. I just wouldnt be able to do it haha. If anyone knows specific radios that can pick up civilian radio stations, like music, news ect, that would be great.

I have been told the the GRC 9 has a good receiver that picks up good stations but that in the UK.

If you go clansman and add a clansman harness you can just plug your ipod or the like in.