What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mills 36M MK2 base plug

A good clean up John and its stuck on a gren and in a couple of years or so you would never know it aint a real one. Then its sold with the gren its on and bobs your uncle its a propper Mk 2.
I reccon they ought to have some sort of stamp on them showing that they are repros. What does the forum think?

Andy

A good clean up John and its stuck on a gren and in a couple of years or so you would never know it aint a real one. Then its sold with the gren its on and bobs your uncle its a propper Mk 2.
I reccon they ought to have some sort of stamp on them showing that they are repros. What does the forum think?

Andy

I personally agree with you there Andy.

Darren

Hi guys,

i reccon there is a place for repro items, especially if the originals are either very rare or terribly highly priced or to be used as aids for living history re-enactors. I can see someone not wanting to chuck a mint WW1 or WW2 gren around or screw up a really nice piece of original webbing but i think it all should be marked as repro in some way.
Really shoddy stuff obviously dosnt need to be as its plainly obvious but the problem really lies with fake stuff being passed off as the real deal. This happens in all walks of life, from militaria, paintings, clothing and handbags to antibiotics. There are cottage industries out there making the stuff to be passed onto the unsuspecting public.
I have no problem with sellers selling the stuff as long as its marked repro in some way and cant then be resold on as original a couple of deals down the line.

Andy

I too agree that all repros should be stampted or even band.
Andy

There's a guy on SA called Rick who is selling repro plugs dets and other things and his baseplugs carry a stamp that indicates they are repro. He's a good honest guy.

John

Here is a piccy of Ricks repro plugs showing his mark on the back. The plugs are excellent copies made from pewter, specially treated to look like zinc and its hard to tell the difference and good value too.

Andy

Attachments

• Ricks repro marking.jpg
    Ricks repro marking.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 28
I have to agree, but marked somewhere discreet, so hard to find items wouldn't look out of place whilst you wait for an original to turn up.