What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mills Base Plug Maker T.W.S

roller63

Premium Member
A friend of mine has this No.36 M Mills, he has asked me if I knew the maker of the base plug, quite clearly marked No 36 M1
T.W.S and no date visible. I have checked the usual websites and my books, but cannot see this maker's mark.
He has gently cleaned the rust from the plug. Both body and lever have the MF mark on them. Any help much appreciated.Mills Plug TWS.jpg

The grenade will be made by Main of Falkirk, but my first impression of the base plug is that it's a modern fake. I've not seen that maker before but the script looks wrong (a little too large) and the lack of a date may be relevant though to be fair other plugs exist without dates but that could indicate they were taken off production before a date was stamped on. However there seems to be little space available on that plug for a date.

Last edited:
The grenade will be made by Main of Falkirk, but my first impression of the base plug is that it's a modern fake. I've not seen that maker before but the script looks wrong (a little too large) and the lack of a date may be relevant though to be fair other plugs exist without dates but that could indicate they were taken off production before a date was stamped on. However there seems to be little space available on that plug for a date.

Thomas Ward, Sheffield.