What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mills base plug ?

navyman

Hello all,
I found this base plug whilst looking through the bit's and pieces box yesterday. It was originally found in the base of a No 23 which was given to me ages ago. I replaced it with a nice repro 23 one and forgot about this one. It has a large central threaded rod hole with an internal diameter of 9.6mm as compared with the usual 5.99mm. The very faint stamps are; No 36 MK II, SEG, and dated September 1942. There is a broad arrow on the inside of the plug. Can anyone explain the larger than usual hole, or tell me anything else about it?
Many thanks,
navyman.

Attachments

• base plug 1.jpg
    base plug 1.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 9
  • base plug 2.jpg
    base plug 2.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 9
  • base plug 3.jpg
    base plug 3.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 7
  • base plug 4.jpg
    base plug 4.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 7
Hi Guy,
its a steel plug for a No 36 M Mk 11 made by the Southern Engineering Group based around Brighton. The Mk 11 was never used in combat, only for training purposes and all the grens had the 5 drilled holes and were painted white. The larger hole in the plug was because the Mk 11 gas check had a larger threaded section in order to make them last longer as training aids.Nice plug, well worth keeping.
Hope this helps.

Andy

Thanks Andy,
It now makes sense, for a stronger gas check which was intended to be re-used.
Cheers,
Guy.